Searching for meaning in the rubble

by Pujan Rai

On April 25, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake shook the tiny nation of Nepal, killing over 7,000 people and destroying precious cultural heritage sites. Even Mount Everest trembled as entire villages were flattened. As a Nepalese student, I am personally struggling to find an objective meaning behind this tragedy. The only objective truth about this disaster that I know is that moving tectonic plates caused the earthquake.

Despite the lack of an objective meaning to this disaster, I think we can apply subjective meanings to it, drawing humble lessons. First, it is clear that the Nepalese government should implement stricter building regulations and Nepalese people should be encouraged to build safer houses. The majority of earthquake-related deaths are due to building collapse and Nepal was no exception. Moreover, given the fact that Nepal lies in a seismically unstable region, the country should always be prepared for a disaster like this.

However, we can also draw lessons from Nepal as a country; the Nepalese can choose to rally around this national tragedy to foster unity that has become a rare commodity in recent times. In the aftermath of a civil war from 1996 to 2006 and repeated failures to draft a timely constitution, the people of Nepal have become increasingly divided over ethno-linguistic, regional and political differences. This earthquake has stricken the Nepalese regardless of their identity, caste, color, region and religion. This hour of common sorrow calls the Nepalese to be united as a nation. As Nepal looks forward to a slow and painful recovery, a united reconstruction, not division, should be the spirit of the nation.

Inspiring news is emerging from the chaos. There are stories of the Nepalese helping each other under duress when their government failed to respond promptly. Nepal’s South Asian neighbors, who themselves are poor and prone to natural disasters, have been quick and generous to send aid to Nepal. In particular, India wasted no time in sending airplanes with relief material. In addition, the international community has been quick to help the hapless Nepalese government mount a relief operation. My former host family in Norway immediately contacted me to check that my family was okay and informed me that Norway was sending 30 million Norwegian kroners as relief aid to Nepal. A Norwegian rescue dog named Gere helped save the life of a woman trapped under the rubble for five days. Besides governments, companies like Coca Cola, Pepsi, Microsoft and Toyota have contributed to the relief fund. Google revived its Person Finder tool designed to post information about missing people in the disaster zone. Facebook launched a Safety Check tool that allowed people to let their family and friends know that they were safe amidst the chaos. Solidarity with Nepal was demonstrated even in the soccer field; Real Madrid Football Club donned a special jersey calling its fans to be united for Nepal.

Such humane and sympathetic reactions from the rest of the world make me think that in the absence of an absolute meaning of this disaster, perhaps we can assign our own meaning to it. Perhaps this tragedy has meaning in the opportunities it offers. There is an opportunity for the Nepalese to help their fellow countrymen. There is an opportunity for the South Asian nations to help a devastated neighbor. Most importantly, at an individual level, there is an opportunity for any person geographically insulated from the events to help reduce the suffering of fellow humans reeling from the wrath of nature. This disaster has exposed the fragility and vulnerability of human life in a poor nation. However, this hour can also be transformed into an opportunity to demonstrate human compassion, resilience and unity.

With this spirit, Princeton students, the Pace Center for Civic Engagement, the Office of Religious Life and Princeton in Asia are organizing events in solidarity with the victims of the calamity. A vigil was held in Murray-Dodge Hall and we have launched a fundraising campaign to support organizations providing relief on the ground in Nepal. While we didn’t feel the earth shaking here in Princeton, it is our human responsibility to help. I invite all readers to meditate on this tragedy as an opportunity of shared humanity and to contribute to these campaigns in any way you can.

Pujan Rai is an economics major from Bhojpur, Nepal. He can be reached at prai@princeton.edu