Tigers head north to continue conference play

Princeton brings perfect conference record to Ithaca, N.Y.

Coming off a defeat at the hands of the top-ranked University of Maryland Terrapins, No. 15 women’s lacrosse (8-3 overall, 3-0 Ivy League) will look to continue to keep its perfect conference record intact this weekend. Cornell (8-3, 3-1) will host Princeton this Saturday for the teams’ 37th meeting.

The Orange and Black hold an imposing 33-4 all-time advantage in the series which stretches back to 1980. Cornell hopes to reverse the usual trend this season, bringing with it the league’s highest scoring offense (14.82 goals per game) and the third most stout defense (8.20 average goals allowed).

Some competitive fire should inspire the Tigers after Tuesday night’s matchup with Maryland slipped out of reach. Leading the Terrapins 6-4 after the first period, Princeton seemed poised to make a significant statement. For the second straight installment of this series, a first-half advantage would not secure a win. The reigning national champions stormed back, burying the visitors with a 7-0 second-half run that spanned only six and a half minutes.

The Tigers have benefited greatly from the return of senior attack Erin McMunn. Ivy League Attacker of the Year in 2014, the offensive talisman tallied a hat-trick on only four shots against Maryland.

Her classmate, senior midfielder Erin Slifer, has consistently overpowered opponents during her final campaign. Her 23 goals trail only the 29 scored by sophomore midfielder Olivia Hompe.

Dartmouth’s Big Green recently pulled off a hard-fought 10-9 overtime win over Cornell, snapping a three-game Big Red winning streak.

Should Cornell look to rally this weekend, its top priority will be finding opportunities for attack Lindsey Toppe. Her 33 goals rank third in conference, and her overall production puts her in position to earn a third consecutive first-team all-Ivy selection.

Saturday’s game will more than likely feature some offensive fireworks. If Princeton can control possession, its seasoned offensive ground should be able to outpace its rivals.

Saddled with three-game losing streak, Tigers travel to Dartmouth

No. 13 men’s lacrosse (6-4 overall, 2-1 Ivy League) will likewise look to rebound this weekend, facing an Ivy League rival the team has traditionally dominated. Dartmouth (3-5, 1-2) hosts Princeton in the teams’ 62nd meeting, 53 of which have gone in the Tigers’ favor.

However, considering the current form of both sides, no result would surpass expectations. After going a perfect 3-0 in games decided by a single goal, the Tigers finally ended up on the other side of a razor thin margin in a 16-15 Tuesday night matchup with Lehigh University. A head-scratching 10-13 defeat at Stony Brook University and similarly frustrating 8-10 loss to Brown likewise loom in Princeton’s rearview.

Despite having dropped its past three matchups, Princeton still can look optimistically toward the postseason. Its 2-1 conference record is tied for the Ivy League’s second best. The next three weeks, which include the Dartmouth matchup along with tilts against Harvard and Cornell, should give the Tigers sufficient opportunity to ensure an Ivy League tournament bid.

On a less optimistic note, the season-ending injury suffered by junior midfielder Jake Froccaro, Ivy League Rookie of the Year in 2012, certainly reduces the dynamism of Princeton’s offense. However, the Tigers have found themselves in a rut unworthy of their talent and experience.

Playing a truly inferior opponent, Princeton should be able to reestablish its offensive rhythm.

Last year’s iteration of this rivalry featured signature performances by then-sophomore attackman Ryan Ambler and then-freshman midfielder Zach Currier. Both underclassmen picked up hat-tricks while Ambler added a game-high four assists. Against the Big Green, Currier showed off his prowess on the ground, corralling five ground balls in addition to his four points. With these two players having made even further strides this year, it will be nearly impossible for Dartmouth to contain their offensive production.

Defensive inexperience sits heavily on the Tigers, who start two sophomores and a freshman at close defense. In addition, freshman goalkeeper Tyler Blaisdell earned his first start and loss this past Tuesday.

As rough straits as Princeton finds itself in, Dartmouth’s performances of late have been truly disheartening. In consecutive weeks, Cornell and Yale outscored the Big Green by a combined 18-6 margin. On the season, Dartmouth has scored an average of 8.00 goals per contest, a full 1.89 goals less than second-worst Penn (which is in turn 2.11 less than the next lowest total).

Saturday’s action is scheduled to commence at 1 p.m. The Ivy League Digital Network will provide a video feed for subscribers.