Strong Tiger finishes in track & field over the weekend

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the Quad Meet this past weekend, and both teams enjoyed great success as they both came first at the event against Monmouth, Rutgers and Vermont.

On the men’s side, the Tigers earned 93 points, 25 points ahead of runner-up Monmouth and three times the point total of Vermont, which finished with 31 points, whereas Rutgers finished with only 15 points.

In the track events, the most impressive was a 1-2-3-4 finish in the 3000m. Led by senior Mike Mazzaccaro, four Tigers finished within three seconds of one another to earn all the points available in the race. Following Mazzaccaro was junior Michael Sublette and seniors Matt McDonald and Sam Pons. The four Tigers finishers easily outdistanced the rest of the field, with the fifthplace finisher finishing some 16 seconds behind Pons.

The Tigers also had two 1-2 finishes in the 800m and the 110m hurdles. In the hurdles, senior Rob Mohr edged out junior Greg Caldwell by only three hundredths of a second, finishing with a time of 14.46 to Caldwell’s 14.49. In the 800m, senior Bradley Paternostro finished first with a time of 1:52.81, closely followed by freshman Noah Kauppila.

In the sprints, both freshman Carrington Akosa and junior John Hill impressed. Two-sport star Hill and Akosa were both part of the 4x100m relay team along with junior Jake Scinto and another two-sport star junior DréNelson. The relay team finished with an impressive time of 41.79 for the win. Akosa and Hill finished 2-3 in the 100m event as well, with times of 10.75 and 10.77, respectively, before Akosa went on to finish second in the 200m with a time of 22.02.

In the field events, the Tigers continued to impress, especially freshman Mitchel Charles. Charles won both the shot put and the discus event, hitting the 17.66m mark in the shot put, an event in which senior Scott Rushton also finished third, and the 51.21m mark in the discus. The hammer throw brought even more success as the Tigers went 1-2-4, led by sophomore Vic Youn with a mark of 55.04 and closely followed by senior Jake Taylor and freshman Gabe Arcaro.

Scinto added a second first-place finish to his day, winning the long jump with a mark of 7.09, while freshman Lane Russell won the triple jump with a mark of 14.43. Freshman August Kiles completed the victories with a win in the pole vault, finishing just ahead of teammate sophomore Ben Gaylord.

While most of the team was competing at home in Weaver Track Stadium, seniors Adam Bragg and Nana Owusu-Nyantekyi were in Knoxville, Tennessee competing in the Tennessee relays. Owusu-Nyantekyi impressed in the triple jump event, finishing with a 15.13 mark that placed him in third. Bragg finished 12thin the pole vault event, clearing 5.11m.

The women’s team was similarly impressive on the day, claiming eight events. They finished first with 90 points, which just edged out Monmouth at 79.5 points, while Vermont finished with 26.5 and Rutgers did not compete.

In the track events, the Tigers went 1-2-3 in the 200m with senior Joanna Anyanwu finishing first with a time of 25.26, followed closely by junior Sara Ronde and freshman Christina Walter. The three of them were joined by senior Emily Easton to claim victory in the 4x100m. Anyanwu, Ronde, and Walter all received podium finishes in other events, as Ronde came second in the long jump, while Anyanwu and Walter had a 2-3 finish in the 100m.

The Tigers also had another 1-2-3 finish in the 1500m. Sophomore Lizzie Bird came first, dominating the rest of the field as she finished seven seconds ahead of fellow sophomores Zoe Sims and Ally Markovich. The Tigers also came first in the 4x400m, with seniors Emily Broyles, Kim Mackay, junior Meghan McMullin and sophomore Elisa Steele finishing with a time of 3:51.15.

The Tigers were also impressive in the field events, as they finished 1-2-4 in the high jump. Junior Taylor Morgan won by clearing 1.62m, while juniors Inka Busack and Kerry Krause came second and fourth after clearing 1.60m. Sophomore Alexandra Lanzafame added to the awards as she won her triple jump event with a mark of 11.41m.

In the throwing events, juniors Brielle Rowe, Julia Ratcliffe and freshman Kennedy O’Dell dominated. O’Dell won the shot put and came fourth in the hammer throw and the discus, whereas Ratcliffe came first in the hammer. Rowe put in a fine day’s work, finishing third in all three events.

After a successful weekend, both teams will remain in Princeton and compete at the Larry Ellis Invitational at Weaver Stadiumon FridayandSaturday.