Planning board approves plan to build new post office, 7-Eleven

Princeton’s planning board unanimously approved plans late last month to locate a 7-Eleven and a post office at 259 Nassau St.

This location was formerly the West Coast video site, but the site has been vacant for nearly a decade, according to The Times of Trenton.

The 7-Eleven will be constructed to face Nassau Street, and the post office will be located in the rear. The 7-Eleven will be approximately 4,945 square feet, and the post office will be approximately 3,505 square feet.

Currently, there are two post offices located in Princeton - one at 20 Palmer Square and the other at 213 Carnegie Center. The Palmer Squarepost office is the one that will be relocated.

The 7-Eleven will not operate between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m., in accordance with a town ordinance that was unanimously adopted earlier this year. The ordinance prohibits any retail establishment that touches a residential area from operating between those hours. The majority of 7-Elevens nation-wide are typically open 24 hours and seven days a week, though the chain originally only operated between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.

The post office would be open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, and would be closed Sunday. The new post office location previously housed a car dealership, a furniture store, a Wawa and an Eckerd Pharmacy prior to the West Coast Video.

Grace Marisi, the customer service supervisor at the post office in town, explained that the relocation of the post office will be good for the community as a whole. She noted that though the post office will be easier to access by car, particularly in terms of parking, the post office may still receive more foot traffic.

“I’m under the impression that the post office will continue to be open and easily accessible to the public,” Marisi said.

Audrey Chebet ’18 explained that she is unenthusiastic about the move because the new post office location will be less convenient.

“Sometimes I just have a little break, like 15 minutes, and I need to run back and attend my classes," she said. "That is very inconvenient because I use the post office frequently, and now it will be more difficult."

Other students said that they have gotten used to the current post office location and said they are unhappy about the move.

“That’s terrible, I’ll have to go farther and to an entirely new place to use the post office,” Safa Syed ’17, a student who also uses the current post office often, said.

Despite the board's approval of the new tenants at 259 Nassau St., some board members at the meeting objected because of concerns over loitering.

Members of the town planning board either declined to comment or did not respond to requests for comment for this article. Mayor Liz Lempert, who recused herself from the planning board's discussions because her husband is a professor at the University, did not respond to requests for comment.The University, which owns a driveway that runs through the property, also did not respond to requests for comment.