Mixed results for men’s and women’s golf

DSC_9918_RGB
DSC_9918_RGB

After a disappointing 24thplace finish in The Goodwin at Stanford Golf Course, the men’s golf team could not best that last-place finish this past weekend, while the women’s golf team went strength to strength and continued its great form this season.

The men’s golf team traveled to Bryan, Texas to compete in the Aggie Invitational at the Traditions Golf Club, while the women’s golf team stayed in New Jersey and competed at the Pirate Invitational at the Trump National Golf Club.

Against a fiercely competitive field, the men’s golf team could not beat higher ranked opponents and had to accept a 13th-place finish out of 13 teams. Of the 13 teams competing at the Invitational, seven teams were ranked in the top 50. Oklahoma, ranked no. 9in the country, claimed first place in the event, three shots ahead of second place and no. 11-ranked Texas Tech. Other ranked teams included no. 7-ranked LSU and no. 22-ranked California. The Tigers finished with 112 shots over par, which were some 37 shots behind 12th-placed Bowling Green State.

The top golfer of the event was KK Limbhasut from California, who finished two under par, two shots ahead of Arkansas’ Kolton Crawford. The Tigers performed commendably on the day, but the highest finisher on the team was sophomore Quinn Prchal, who placed in 38thplace with a score of +15, while freshman Michael Davis placed 55thwith a score of +21. Freshman Marc Hedrick came in 64thwith a score of +25, sophomore Alex Dombrowski came in 75thwith a score of +51 and Eric Mitchell came in 76thwith a score of +59. Hedrick himself recorded a rare eagle on the event, only one of seven eagles during the tournament.

While the men’s team did not have much success against much tougher opponents, the women’s golf team had a much better weekend, as team placed second out of 12 teams at the Seton Hall Pirate Invitational.

The Tigers also managed to get a better look at their Ivy League opponents, as three other teams competed this past weekend, with Columbia, Penn and Yale placing third, fourth and seventh, respectively. With this performance, it bodes well for the team in the Ivy League Championship that will be held in three weeks at Saucon Valley Country Club.

The Tigers finished with 31 shots over par, eight shots behind eventual winners Georgia, who carded a +23. The Tigers beat Columbia by six shots. Leading the team was sophomore Hana Ku, who came in tied second place at even par, and she was beaten by two shots by Columbia’s Camilla Vik, who carded a -2. Freshman Caroline Araskog finished in 8thplace with a score of +8, while sophomore Jordan Lippetz finished in 10thplace with a score of +9. Junior Alexandra Wong recorded a +14 to finish in 23rdplace, while junior Sydney Kersten finished in 50thplace with a score of +21 to round out the field.

Both teams return to action this weekend, with the men’s golf team hosting the Princeton Invitational at Springdale Golf Club over SaturdayandSunday, while the women’s golf team will travel to Providence, R.I. to compete at the Brown Invitational at Metacomet Country Club overSundayandMonday.