Men's heavyweight crew crushes Harvard in Compton Cup

After starting the season with a win against Georgetown and two cup triumphs in the Navy-Princeton Rowing Cup and the Childs Cup, the Princeton heavyweight rowing team continued their success with a stunning victory at the Compton Cup against Harvard and MIT. The Tigers came into the weekend ranked third, while Harvard was fourth.

The Compton Cup has eluded the Tigers’ grasp since 2006, but this year, the varsity eight was able to clinch the cup for the 15th time as they finished first with a time of 5:43.9, which beat Harvard's time of 5:48.4 by almost five seconds. MIT finished in third place some 20 seconds behind with a time of 6:04.5. The Tigers’ victory also marks the first time the team has won the Compton Cup at Lake Carnegie since 2001, ending a 14-year drought.

The Tigers also easily dominated all three of the other races, winning all three of the other varsity eight races. In the second varsity eight, the Tigers clocked a time that was faster than the varsity side, as it finished the race with a mark of 5:42.6, beating two Harvard boats. In the third varsity eight, the Tigers went head-to-head with the Harvard third eight, and cruised past with a five-second gap, while in the last race, two Tiger boats came in first and third, with the winning boat finishing with a time of 6:02.6.

The heavyweight rowing team will be competing in the Carnegie Cup against Cornell and Yale this comingSaturday in Ithaca, N.Y., at8 a.m. and hope to continue its undefeated start to the season. Both Cornell and Yale are ranked opponents, with the hosts ranked ninth and Yale ranked fifth.