News & Notes: Lempert recuses herself from 7-Eleven vote

Mayor Liz Lempert said she would recuse herself from a vote on a proposed 7-Eleven because of a conflict of interest,the Princeton Packetreported.

The Planning Board has a hearing on March 19 to discuss 7-Eleven’s proposal to move into the former West Coast Video property at 259 Nassau St.

Lempert explained that she had received legal advice to recuse herself from the voting since the University, her husband’s employer, owns a driveway that goes through the site.

Lempert is married to psychology professor Kenneth Norman.

In addition to Lempert, three other board members are recusing themselves from the vote. Two of them, Wanda Gunning and Fern Spruill, are also married to University employees.Board member Gail Ullman will recuse herself because she lives within 200 feet of the property.

In December 2014, the town council voted 4-3 to pass an ordinance requiring businesses bordering residential zones from being open between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. Under the ordinance, 7-Eleven is required to revise or retract its original proposal of being open 24 hours a day. Lempert has maintained the ordinance was not targeting the 7-Eleven.

Town planning director Lee Solow told The Daily Princetonian in February that the issue of businesses staying open late had been a concern for years among residents.