At least we go to Princeton

Each time I am faced with a roadblock, I feel barraged with this sentiment: “Well at least you go to Princeton”.

On the surface level, this remark alone sounds rather extraordinary, especially this week, as high school students around the world learn if they’ve been accepted to Princeton.

Striding the same halls that world leaders (and Ted Cruz '92) walked years ago, we too have obtained the chance to do remarkable things — and that is an incredible privilege. It is a humbling experience, and the first 83 times I was reminded of this privilege, it stuck with me as something to keep in mind during periods of academic struggle.

But after the 84th time, I started wondering why I should take such pride in every aspect of the University — even things that seemed completely isolated from my own merit and achievements. As proud as I am to call the beautifully sculptured palaces dormitories and classrooms, I find it difficult to relate this honor with my own self-worth. Princeton accepted its students due to their merit, but should this knowledge alone alleviate the feelings of ineptitude that come with receiving a poor grade or failing an exam?

In times like these, YikYak is a great place to turn for some consolation. Surprisingly, YikYak can do a rather quality job in uplifting spirits. Many times the humor alone — entirely unrelated to inspiration — is helpful. However, sometimes when the days are particularly rough, Yaks about squirrels just aren’t enough to get me pumped up again. In search of insight and wisdom, I eventually come across Yaks that resemble encouragement and inspiration or “Encouragement Yaks,” as I like to call them. Some “Encouragement Yaks” are meant to inspire a sense of caring and community, in the form of “There are people who love and care about you.” However, other Yaks attempt to encourage by reminding us of this: “If all else fails, just remember that we all got into Princeton!”

This sentiment is expressed in a variety of forms and surely, these Yaks are not written solely for the purpose of other students. However, while I think it is helpful to remind ourselves of our place here, the general theme can quickly become rather suffocating. On several occasions, I have seen anonymous Yakkers express their discontent for campus, including how disappointed they are in the policies of the University and the attitudes of their peers. Instead of offering supportive advice or constructive comments, these expressions of “encouragement” are used to shut down conversation: “If you don’t like it, then leave”.

While it is impossible to meet the needs of all students and many of the rigors of Princeton exist for good reason, I find it unsettling that those whom have less than positive things to say about Princeton are often bombarded with high levels of countenances. I applaud such school spirit; however, I think there is a rather fine line between Princeton pride and zealotry.

As aforementioned, Princeton is probably one of the best things that has, is, and will ever happen to me, and I realize that. But if I ever happen to express aloud that I don’t like how the trees are shaped or how the administration operates, the default response should not be: “But at least you got into Princeton!” Instead, I hope to see an increased advocacy for combating the real and expressed issues that students face, either offline or online. These solutions will not come easily but that does not mean they should be nudged aside with sentiments suggesting one should be thankful just to be here. We should not mistake loyalty for blind acceptance of Princeton’s problems. Princeton is a great place, but it is far from perfect. If it ever has a chance of being a utopian bliss, pretending that it already is will never get us there.

Imani Thornton is a freshman fromMatteson, Ill. She can be contacted at it4@princeton.edu.