Ask the Sexpert

Dear Sexpert,

Ever since I went on the pill, I feel like I have no sex drive. Is there something wrong with me? What do I do? I don’t want to get pregnant, but I want my sex drive back.

— ProblemWithThePill

Dear Problem,

All forms of birth control have potential side effects, which vary depending on the method and the individual. You can double check the informational insert that comes with your medication; it should have a list of reported side effects.

The “pill” works by altering your natural hormone fluctuations. Although there have been many studies on the side effects of the pill, especially those side effects linked to libido, few, if any, have been “conclusive.” That said, some women have reported experiencing loss of libido while taking the pill. This side effect is most likely due to the fact that many birth control pills contain both estradiol and progestin, which lower the levels of testosterone in your system. This is the reason that most people notice the desirable side effect of improvement in acne while taking the pill; however, it can also be the cause of the undesirable decrease in your sex drive.

It is important that you find a birth control method that works for you and your life. If you continue experiencing this, or other undesirable side effects, your first step should be to talk to your health care provider — whoever is prescribing you the pill. They may suggest that you switch to a different brand of birth control. Different pills have varying levels and types of hormones, one of which may work for you. They may also suggest an alternative method of birth control, such as an intrauterine device or implant. Although it is possible that you will still experience decreased libido with these forms of contraception, it is less likely since they do not contain estradiol.

The ParaGard IUD is a non-hormonal IUD that will definitely not have any effect on your sex drive and is another potential option you can discuss with your provider, if you feel strongly that the hormones are the cause of your decreased libido.

Because there are factors other than being on the pill that can affect your libido, including stress, sleep deprivation and physical illness, we recommend speaking with your provider before stopping the pill. You should rule out these other factors before going off the pill, especially if it is your primary (or only) means of contraception.

— The Sexpert