News & Notes: Town to consider charging disposable shopping bags

The town of Princeton is considering charging customers a fee of between 10 and 25 cents for disposable plastic or paper bags, The Times of Trenton reported.

A local environmental group suggested the fee, and the town is investigating whether it can impose the charge,Mayor Liz Lempert told the Times. The name of the group that proposed the ordinance was not published.

Lempert told the Times that plastic bags are a pollutant and that the town needs to be moving away from them.

If enacted, Princeton would be the first town in New Jersey to adopt such a policy.

Under the proposed ordinance, customers would have to pay between 10 and 25 cents per each disposable shopping bag. Merchants and companies would use the fee to purchase reusable or already recycled bags, which would be distributed for free.

In November 2014, 61 percent of the Mercer County voters voted against a referendum calling for a five cent fee for disposable shopping bags. A statewide legislation for charging the five cent fee was approved in the New Jersey Senate Environment Committee in December 2012 but did not make it further in the legislative process.

Town attorney Trishka Cecil is currently researching whether it would be legal for the town to pass such an ordinance.