Ask the Sexpert

Dear Sexpert,

I currently have the opportunity to get in on a foursome with some friends. I'm not sure how itwould all work out, but I've never done this sort of thing and wanted to get some more infobefore I make a decision. I'm really interested, but can you tell me about any precautions I shouldtake in foursomes, threesomes or whatever?

Thanks,

The More the Merrier

Dear Merrier,

Group sex can be intimidating for sure. First off, there are so many varieties that it can be hard tofeel prepared for everything. Any number of people can be involved, and there may be differentrelationships among the participants. For example, one arrangement for group sex is couplesgetting together. This, as you can imagine, can create emotional and physical complications andmay require the setting of boundaries (what is and is not okay) prior to engaging in activities, toincrease comfort and establish expectations.

On that note, the most important part of group sex is consent. Agreeing to participate in groupsex, in general, does not mean agreement to participate in all sexual acts. At any point in theactivity, each involved party should be able to consent or refuse participation. Group sexinherently triples, quadruples or further multiplies the number of consenting individuals, andthus should equally multiply the number of times you ask. The key thing to keep in mind withgroup sex, as with any sexual encounter, is that consent can evolve and change at any point, socontinually check in with your partners.

Another important element is the use of protective barriers, like condoms and dental dams. Riskof contracting sexually transmitted infections (STIs) increases with the number of partners andopportunities to come in contact with bodily fluids. Remember to apply a new barrier whenswitching partners — do not reuse barriers. While the wearer of a condom may be relativelyprotected when switching partners, the other participants are still at risk of exchanging bodilyfluids and contracting STIs. Try color-coding condoms and dental dams for specific partners toprevent mix-ups.

Furthermore, remember that everyone enters a sexual situation with different expectations(regardless of the number of people involved). Open and honest conversation is the only way toaccurately communicate expectations. In addition to all these things, be sure you feelemotionally prepared to experiment with group sex, if you decide that is what you want. Whosaid three's a crowd?

— The Sexpert