News & Notes: John Elderfield named new Art Museum curator

John Elderfield was named the first Allen R. Adler ’67 Distinguished Curator and Lecturer at the University Art Museum, according to theUniversity's website.

Elderfield, currently the chief curator emeritus of painting and sculpture at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, N.Y., will offer a series of public lectures in the spring. He will also teach his first course next fallon European modern art.

The curatorship was the result of a gift bestowed to the University in 2012 from Adler and his wife, Frances Beatty Adler. The gift facilitated the curatorship as well as an accompanying program fund at the art museum.

According to the release, Elderfield's new position will increase the museum’s leadership in European art from the medieval to modern periods. The curatorship is also expected to help prepare students for potential careers in museums.

Elderfield was with the MoMA for over 30 years until his retirement in 2008 and has held multiple positions, including director of the Department of Drawings, chief curator-at-large andthe Marie-Josée and Henry Kravis Chief Curator of Painting and Sculpture.

He has served as an independent curator and art historian since 2012. He was also a consultant to the Gagosian Gallery.