News and Notes: UMCPP loses funding for excessive number of infected patients

Over one-third of New Jersey hospitals, including the University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro,will lose some federal funding because too many of their patients were infected during treatment, NJ Spotlight reported.

Medicare payments will decrease by one percent for the federal fiscal year, which started on Oct. 1, 2014, and will end on Sept. 30, 2015.

The penalty is based on a score that factors in the number of patients with central-line-associated bloodstream infections, the number of patients with catheter-associated urinary tract infections and a combination of eight different conditions.

Funding will be revoked from the quarter of hospitals that scored lowest nationally.

Twenty-three of 62 state hospitals, or 37 percent, were affected by the one percent Medicare payment reduction.

New Jersey had the fourth highest penalty percentage, trailing only the District of Columbia, Utah, Connecticut and Nevada, according to a Kaiser Health News analysis.

“There has been significant progress in reducing these hospital-acquired conditions both in New Jersey and nationally, and that’s what makes this penalty program very unfortunate,” New Jersey Hospital Association spokesperson Kerry McKean Kelly said.

Other local penalized hospitals include Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Saint Peter’s University Hospital in New Brunswick.