Gilbert ’09 charged with murder of father, Gilbert ’66

Thomas Gilbert Sr. ’66 was found dead in his Manhattan home from a gunshot wound on Sunday, and his son Thomas Gilbert Jr. ’09was charged with murder on Monday.

Gilbert Jr. has pled not guilty to charges that include second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.He is due in court on Friday and Feb. 2.

Gilbert Jr. was allegedly in debt, and the two had allegedly been arguing over Gilbert Jr.’s allowance, according to the Associated Press.

Gilbert Sr. had allegedly been giving his son $2,400 a month for rent and $600 for spending money and planned to cut the sum to $400 a month, the New York Post reported.

Gilbert Jr. had allegedly asked his mother to get him a sandwich so she would be out of the apartment before he allegedly fired a shot at Gilbert Sr.'s head, the New York Post said, adding that Gilbert Jr. allegedly arrived at his father’s apartment carrying a gun and fled the scene after the shooting.

Gilbert Jr. had allegedly slipped past the doorman wearing a hoodie, according to the New York Daily News.

The police were notified of the incident by Gilbert Sr.’s wife, Shelly, who returned and discovered his body.

Gilbert Jr. was arrestedon Sundayat his Chelsea apartment after New York Police Department officers dressed in riot gear took down his door and found him hiding inside. He was taken to the 17thprecinct in midtown.

Police recovered a .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic handgun from the scene, according to the New York Post. The gun’s original packaging, as well as magazine clips and loose rounds, were found in Gilbert Jr.’s apartment. It remains unclear whether the gun was bought legally.

Gilbert Jr. attended The Buckley School on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. He went on to the Deerfield Academy in western Massachusetts, after which he attended the University, graduating in 2009.

He later became a manager at the investment company Bayberry Capital, according to the University alumni directoryTigerNet. His TigerNet employment information was last updated in 2010.

He often attended black-tie society events in New York, according to The New York Post.

Gilbert Jr. did not respond to a request for comment as of press time.

From 1984 to 1991, Gilbert Sr. was a managing director at Loeb Partners Corp., where he was responsible for origination of private equity transactions, including leveraged buyouts and venture capital investments, according to his LinkedIn profile.He would typically act as a director or senior financial adviser to the portfolio company after a deal’s closing.

Gilbert Sr. founded Knowledge Delivery Systems, Inc. in 1998and ran the company for a full decade as its CEO. He served as chairman until January 2011 and served as a director until his death. Since April 2011, Gilbert Sr. had also been a founding managing partner at the hedge fund Wainscott Capital Partners LLC.

Gilbert Sr. was also named in the annual Who’s Who In America list for five consecutive years starting from 1999.

Gilbert Sr. attended Phillips Andover Academy, where he was awarded the Butler-Thwing Academic Award for the entering freshman with the highest academic accomplishments. Following Andover, he attended the University, where he was a Wilson School concentrator. After graduating in 1966, Gilbert Sr. went on to attend Harvard Business School for the next two years, where he was winner of the Business School squash tournament.