Three cases of sexual assault reported last weekend, two on Prospect Avenue

Three incidents of sexual assault were reported to the Department of Public Safety over the weekend, according the University’s federally mandated crime logs.

Two of these cases were reported as having occurred at unidentified eating clubs, though one was listed as occurring on Prospect Avenue while the other in an “Off-Campus Location.” The third case occurred in an unknown dormitory.

University spokesperson Martin Mbugua said that the DPS reports about the incident did not identify a particular eating club. He said he was unable to tell if the three assaults were reported by different people.

Mbugua added the assaults had been reported through a Campus Security Authority, which is defined on the DPS website as any “official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities.”

Two were reported about 45 minutes apart on Friday evening, and the other was reported Saturday afternoon. However, only one of those cases was reported immediately after the alleged assault happened.

Overall, only two other instances of sexual assault have been reported so far this academic year, according to a review of crime logs.

A first incident allegedly occurred between September 2012 and September 2013 in an unknown campus dormitory. Mbugua said that the person who reported it believes that at some point during the 2012-13 academic year they were engaged in sexual activity while incapacitated.

A second incident allegedly occurred at some point within the past month, and was listed as occurring on Prospect Avenue. The person believes they were fondled without their consent at an unidentified eating club, Mbugua said.

A third incident occurred on Friday when a person was also allegedly fondled without their consent at an unidentified eating club. This was listed as an “Off-Campus Location” in the crime log.

The University was found in violation of Title IX earlier this year for the way it handled complaints of sexual assault received by administrators and has since overhauled the way it adjudicates complaints.

The email distribution of a photo of a sex act that took place in the basement of Tiger Inn was labeled a case of sexual assault in November in the crime logs, although the University has investigated the case as an alleged instance of sexual exploitation.