Making Music: St. Danger

Taking its name from an inside joke related to one of the band’s member’s roommates calling “San Pellegrino” (a type of soda) “San Peligro” (St. Danger in Spanish), St. Danger is a student band that will blow you away with their enthusiasm and musicality. Previously part of another student band named Moxie, the trio of Conor McGrory ’16, Doug Wallack ’16 and Kenny Hulpach ’16 define their sound as “classic rock meets indie rock.”

Guitarist McGrory, bassist Wallack and drummer Hulpach have been playing together since freshman year and haven’t stopped making music since.They cite Dr. Dog, The Beatles, Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth as musical influences for St. Danger and its sound. The singing is a more collaborative effort that Wallack summed up as “there's a bunch of singing that happens.” In addition to this, Wallack also said that, as a band,“we’re really trying to work on our harmonies.”McGrory noted that it has been a unique and helpful opportunity to grow with a fellow group of musicians.

“You learn what the others need,” Hulpach added.St. Danger is constantly growing as a band and as a group of musicians, some of whom started playing their individual instrumentsafter arriving on Princeton’s campus.

Songwriting is a group effort for the band. Wallack and and McGrory tend to work through ideas for songs together, while Hulpach occasionally writes whole pieces alone.

The band is starting slowly, with more casual performances on campus as they get a sense of their new sound and direction. St. Danger performed an outdoor show under an arch during Princeton Arts Weekend in October. They stated that they plan to continue building their repertoire and put finishing touches on songs so that they are prepared to play more shows in 2015. St. Danger is interested in collaborating with other musicians and groups on campus, and the members are currently finding inspiration in various artists. Their list includes Wilco, Elliott Smith, Starfucker/STRFKR, and alt-J.

“A lot of these artists write some great words,” McGrory added to explain what these artists have in common and how their work influences St. Danger.

The band is working hard to write more songs and consolidate their sound. Watch out for these talented men next year and their indie-rock-meets-classic-rock vibe.