News & Notes: Christie belligerent with heckler at press conference

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie received national attention for responding to a heckler at a press conference on Oct. 29 in Belmar, N.J. by telling the heckler to “sit down and shut up,” mediaite.com reported.

Jim Keady, a former Asbury Park city councilman turned activist, had interrupted Christie’s speech by criticizing the governor’s allocation of Hurricane Sandy relief funds and holding up a sign reading, “Finish the Job!”

“I’m glad you had your day to show off, but we’re the ones who are here to actually do the work,” Christie said in response. “So turn around, get your 15 minutes of fame, and then maybe take your jacket off, roll up your sleeves and do something for the people of this state.”

Christie is also an ex officio member of the University's board of trustees.

Keady said his protest was meant to bring to light problems with New Jersey’s billion-dollar program to restore property to people who lost their homes to Hurricane Sandy.

He also noted that he has nothing against Christie.

Christie also receivednational attentionin January when emails surfaced between Christie aides suggesting that the aides had orchestrated a closure of lanes in September 2013 on the George Washington Bridge. The bridge goes to Fort Lee, N.J., whose mayor had previously declined to endorse Christie for re-election.

Christie said he did not know about the closure and was exonerated by an outside counsel hired by his administration.