Liziewski ’18 appointed to Honor Committee, restaurant week questioned during USG meeting

The Undergraduate Student Government convened on Sunday to evaluate restaurant week, discuss various student-life initiatives and announce the newly-appointed freshman representative to the Honor Committee.

Carolyn Liziewski ’18 was nominated as the freshman representative on the Honor Committee after a two-round interview process of seven candidates and thorough deliberations, accordingto Honor Committee chair Jesse Fleck ’15.

During a questioning session, U-Council chair Zhan Okuda-Lim ’15 asked Liziewski how she felt about the timeframe within which the Honor Committee informs students whether they are witnesses or suspects in an investigation.

“Once a student is called into questioning, whether as a witness or a person being investigated, the committee should make its actions as transparent as possible,” Liziewski said before her official appointment, adding that the committee must be respectful of each student’s confidentiality, as being called into question by the Honor Committee can affect one’s reputation in the University even if the student was not eventually accused.

Liziewski’s nomination received unanimous approval from the senate.

USG president Shawon Jackson ’15 announced an upcoming town hall meeting during which different housing policies will be discussed. Jackson also presented a workshop that is being planned to allow 60 student leaders across campus to discuss diversity and equity.

Campus and Community Affairs chairPaul Riley ’15 shared evaluations of the most recent restaurant week and noted that the cost of restaurant week has been a source of concern for students.

According to Riley, many restaurants currentlyonly offer $25 meals that do not include mandatory tax and gratuity, and many students voiced that restaurants’ standards didn’t meet the price.

“Many students are not going because of cost factor, they felt that restaurants served worse options during the event and a lot of restaurants had the same menus,” Riley noted.

Director of External Affairs Richard Lu ’16 discussed the “What Matters Campaign,” which is an initiative dedicated to collecting student preferences about programming priorities. According to Lu, the committee received 12,000 responses in2012, and he said that heanticipates comparable levels of participation this year.

University Student Life Committee chair Ella Cheng ’16 said that her committee will soon launch an initiative to examine the disparity in funding for different sports.

Cheng is a former staff writer for The Daily Princetonian.

In a committee update, Cheng said that her committee is currently collaborating with local grocery stores to coordinate discounted delivery to University students and isspearheading an online service for students with eating disorders. Cheng also noted that an initiative is in the works fordiscussions about the perception of eating clubs among upperclassmen that would be led byresidential college advisers.

Academics committee chair James Baase ’15 said that his committee has drafted a list of suggested practices for take-home culminating tests.

“There’s ignorance on the professor’s part of student’s constraints,” Baase said.

Jackson noted that due to miscommunication with the Frist Campus Center Ticket Office, the USG Thanksgiving buses have incurred a projected loss of $917. However, according to U-Council member Jacob Cannon ’17, USG only lost $129 dollars, as the second bus to Boston was canceled.

Jackson said that the senate will discuss the discrepancy in detail during the next meeting.