Accepting political differences

As a Jewish student interested in politics, I’ve followed the divestment debate closely, and I’ve been extremely disappointed by what I’ve encountered.

Don’t get me wrong: I love the fact that students are so actively engaged with the issue on both sides. Every time I walk by the tables in Frist Campus Center with the two competing sides, pro-divestment and anti-divestment, I can’t help but smile. I love reading the various columns about the topic in The Daily Princetonian. The fact that people are seizing the opportunity to raise awareness on causes they believe passionately in is an attribute I admire and respect. However, when I’ve participated in discussions on divestment, I’ve been both shocked and disappointed by the lack of tolerance and respect people grant to those who have different opinions than their own.

I’ve yet to personally develop an opinion on divestment at Princeton, so I have not signed either student petition that has been circulating. As someone interested in international human rights, I have been following the Israeli-Palestinian conflict fairly closely and have come to the conclusion that I cannot for certain determine the “right” position, and have therefore not signed a petition. I think there are legitimate points on both sides, and even if one can reach a conclusion on where one stands on the issue, it’s hard to suggest the opposing view is completely invalid.

Nevertheless, people are offhandedly dismissing those who disagree with their opinion without listening carefully — or even at all — to what they are saying, sometimes even judging their morality. This is disheartening because it halts the legitimate discussion to be had. Even if this discussion is not going to persuade one to change one’s mind, it is important for people to listen to opposing points of view. People should not be judged on a moral level simply because of their political stance. While I recognize that often the personal and political are tied, it is a shame that relationships are being threatened because of political differences.

Regarding the divestment discussion, I’ve seen numerous examples of this. I’ve seen people make assumptions about my stance on the issue, based on other outspoken political beliefs of mine, and then refuse to talk to me about divestment. I’ve heard others explicitly say they are judging others personally simply because of the fact that they signed a petition with which they disagree. And then there was the letter to the editorpublished in the ‘Prince’ on Nov. 11where the author describedthe writers of a piece on divestment as self-hating Jews — as if he knew their thoughts better than they did themselves. This kind of attitude toward controversial issues does not foster productive debate.

I recognize it can sometimes be difficult to talk to people with different political opinions. This is especially true with issues that people take personally, like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Admittedly, I try to avoid discussing Israel with a friend from home because we have different opinions and she gets angry with me for my view. Often, I feel that it simply is not worth the emotional wear and tear on our friendship. However, that does not mean it isn’t valuable to have these conversations, and it certainly does not mean you shouldn’t continue to respect others simply because they have different political values.

I’m not the obvious candidate to be giving this tolerance lecture. I certainly am passionate about certain issues and have a hard time remembering to let others speak. However, I know this is something I have to work on. When I’m not jumping down someone’s throat, I really enjoy hearing what others have to say (and rebutting their arguments).

I was extremely fortunate to participate in an organization at my high school whose entire goal is to start casual debate among people with different political beliefs. It’s why I’ve gotten involved with the American Whig-Cliosophic Society at the University; it’s one of the few settings where discussion across the political aisle is encouraged and facilitated. Through these organizations, I’ve made some good friends who have radically different political views — people with whom I otherwise would not have befriended.

Having non-political interactions with people has helped me realize how essential it is to have respectful discussions with those with different opinions, and how important it is to separate political beliefs from their personality. You don’t have to agree with everything someone says and does in order to be friends with them, nor do you have to agree with someone to discuss an issue civilly. Keeping this in mind and separating the two to treat everyone’s opinions with respect is imperative to treating others kindly. Maybe you might even learn something from them, whether or not you change your mind.

As we break for Thanksgiving and return home to families who we likely differ with on certain political issues, perhaps we can practice tolerance with those we love. Then, when we return to campus, we can employ these values in our conversations with other students to propagate productive and respectful dialogs.

Marni Morse is a sophomore from Washington, D.C. She can be reached at mlmorse@princeton.edu.