News & Note: Rutgers School of Law report claims Hurricane Sandy voting measures illegal

A report released on Thursday by the Rutgers School of Law-Newark concluded the stop-gap measures intended to allow people to vote in the days after Hurricane Sandy violated state law, according to NJ Advance Media.

Those measures included allowing people to cast ballots by email and led to mass confusion, according to the report.

“Emergency measures such as Internet and fax voting not only violated New Jersey law, but also left votes vulnerable to online hacking,” the report said. “Internet voting should never be permitted, especially in emergencies when governmental infrastructure is already compromised.”

The report also questioned how counties were supposed to communicate the new balloting options to the public in the midst of a state emergency.

“The State waslargely unresponsive to requests from the counties forclarification and guidance on how to implement the emergencydirectives,” the report said.

Michael Drewniak, spokesman for New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who is also an ex-officio trustee at the University, defended the state’s efforts.

“The truth is that, as a state, we were dealing with a disaster and catastrophic damage,” Drewniak said. “We should be lauded for what we were able to do.”