Breaking: On eve of Dean's Date, Princeton police responds to alleged toy gun incident

Officers from the Department of Public Safety and the Princeton Police Department responded to a call about a student holding what appeared to be a toy gun in Butler College shortly after 9 p.m. on Monday, according to University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua.

The object was identified as a toy gun in the call to DPS; both DPS and PPD responded to the call as a result, according to Mbugua.

The local police department is contacted as a matter of protocol in cases potentially involving firearms because its officers are armed whereas DPS officers are not.

The student possessing the alleged toy gun was identified at the scene but was not taken into custody and was not charged, according to Mbugua.

The matter was instead referred to the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students.

Mbugua would not answer questions about the type of toy gun or possible disciplinary sanctions for the alleged perpetrator.

The University’s “Rights, Rules, Responsibilities,” a document that governs student discipline, states that students are not allowed to possess on campus “any guns that shoot projectiles,” including paintball and BB guns.

Exceptions are made for theater productions, only with advanced written permission from ODUS. “Easily identifiable toys,” however, do not need this permission.

The incident took place the evening before Dean's Date, the final University deadline to turn in written work.