Letter to the Editor: Men’s group challenges ‘rape culture’

In the process of promoting her new book, “Marry Smart,” Princeton alumna Susan Patton ’77 has made several incendiary statements. These comments, primarily advising young women on how to successfully secure a male spouse while at Princeton, have been profiled in both this newspaper and in the larger U.S. mainstream media. Most concerning have been Patton’s comments related to sexual assaults on college campuses and her suggestion that it is a woman’s responsibility to prevent her own rape. The University’s Men Against Violence Resources & Intervention Community (MAVRIC)Project wishes to confront this rhetoric and denounce it for what it is: victim-blaming and rape culture propaganda. To suggest that anyone — of any gender, at Princeton or in any part of the world — is responsible for their own sexual assault is, frankly, deplorable.

Rape culture, at its very roots, thrives in attitudes and belief systems that not only blame victims for their own assault but also excuse the violence of perpetrators. Whether Ms. Patton is aware or not, her words serve to support this toxic paradigm. Patton not only suggests that women are to blame for their own assault, but she also submits that men’s sexuality is predatory by nature. Patton implies that men, given the “right” circumstances — such as an intoxicated female who is dressed provocatively — will rape women because it is in our disposition to do so. This assumption is grossly offensive. Men are not hostages to predacious libidos for which they must be excused. In fact, researchers have long held that the perpetration of rape has never been about sex. Instead, it is a violent manifestation of distorted social constructs not dissimilar from Ms. Patton’s remarks. Sexual offenders — on college campuses, in the military and in all communities — should be held directly and personally responsible for their actions, without the benefit of justifications borne from rape-supportive ideologies.

Ms. Patton, frequently dubbed “Princeton Mom” and adorned in orange and black in her TV spots, positions herself as a spokeswoman for young women and the University community. As members of this same community, we need to hold each other accountable for our language and behaviors, whether they are from our peers or alumni, lauding those who inspire us and confronting those who support or endorse harm. It is through such endeavors that we continue to secure for ourselves a community that promotes safety, accountability and integrity.

Signed,

Trap Yates ’14, Sam Lite ’14, Nick Zarazua, Carl Adair, Aidan Macdonagh ’14, Kevin McKee ’14 and Philip Hickey

Yates is a former associate editor for the Street section of The Daily Princetonian.