Preview shorts: Women's Squash, Women's Basketball, Men's Lacrosse

Women’s Squash:

Jadwin Gynmasium’s C Level Courts will host the Collegiate Squash Association National Team Championships this weekend. According to the CSA website, 43 teams will participate in six different divisions. The three days of action will give the Princeton community a chance to witness the highest level of women’s collegiate squash.

The Tigers are seeded No. 5 in the Howe Cup (A Division) competition and will play their first match this Friday at 2:30 p.m. against Yale on courts 4, 5 and 6. The Howe Cup features six Ivy League teams — Columbia and Brown are seeded in the B Division Kurtz Cup — alongside Stanford and Trinity.

Nine of the 13 matches played by the Tigers have been perfect 9-0 sweeps. Notable losses came against juggernauts Harvard and Trinity. Princeton will have an opportunity to avenge these losses if they manage to get past their first opponents: Yale, which holds a 15-3 record in all competition and a 5-2 record in the Ivy League. Earlier this month, the visiting Bulldogs pulled off a close 5-4 win over the Tigers.

In the program’s history, the Princeton women have won five National Team Championships, with the last crown coming in 2008.

Men’s Lacrosse:

A talented and highly-touted No. 9 men’s lacrosse side will take on visiting Hofstra in their season home-opener at 1952 Stadium.

On opening weekend last season, Princeton pulled off a 10-7 win. In the era of head coach Chris Bates, the Tigers have gotten the better of their Long Island rivals with a 3-1 head-to-head record. Hofstra’s top-three attack are all returning this season, led by cocaptain Torin Varn, who led his side offensively with 30 goals and 32 points.

A finalist for the Tewaaraton Trophy — awarded to the country's top overall player — and winner of the MacLaughlin Award — awarded to the country's top midfielder — senior Tom Schreiber will be looked to as the team's leader. Prolific juniors Mike MacDonald on attack and Kip Orban in the midfield will supplement his experience.

A number of last year’s freshmen made names for themselves with outstanding play. And with one year of collegiate play under their belts, sophomore midfielders Jake Froccaro and Austin deButts, attack Ryan Ambler and defenseman Mark Strabo will look to add to their strong performances last season.

Women's Basketball:

The women's basketball team will look to extend its five-game winning streak this weekend, as the Tigers (15-6, 6-1 Ivy League)take a road trip to Ivy rivals Dartmouth and Harvard.

The Tigers will take on Dartmouth Friday night at 7 p.m. in Hanover, N.H., and will try to repeat a performance similar to their 76-53 home thrashing of the Big Green on Feb. 1. Dartmouth should not be too big of a challenge for the Tigers, though, as its team is 1-9 so far in 2014 and has lost its last six games.

Saturday night in Cambridge, Mass. will give the Tigers the chance to avenge the only loss they incurred during their first seven-game circuit of Ivy League opponents. Playing on Harvard’s turf provides further opportunity for revenge, as it was last year’s road loss against Harvard that snapped the Tigers’ 33-game conference winning streak. The Tigers will look to junior guard Blake Dietrick to keep playing well as she comes off of a sizzling 55-point weekend against Brown and Yale.