News and Notes: Student charged with drug possession had suspected Ritalin

The student who was arrested for suspected drug possession on Feb. 2had three pills of Ritalin and less than 50 grams of marijuana, according to a copy of the complaint obtained by The Daily Princetonian. The student was charged with four violations of drug laws.

Thomas Fellowes ’14 was charged with suspected possession and control of suspected marijuana, suspected possession and control of drug paraphernalia,allegedly knowingly using a controlled dangerous substance and suspected possession of methylphenidate hydrochloride, also known as Ritalin, without a prescription.

Ritalin is a prescription stimulant designed for people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy.

University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua originally declined to specify the amount of marijuana allegedly found as well as the exact type of prescription pill. The Princeton Municipal Court released a copy of the complaint against Fellowes on Wednesday that included these details.

Possession and control of suspected marijuana, possession and control of drug paraphernalia andknowingly using a controlled dangerous substance are considered disorderly persons offenses under New Jersey state law, while the possession of methylphenidate hydrochloride is considered a third degree offense.

Fellowes did not respond to requests for comment.