Sports Shorts: Fencing, swimming & diving

Fencing: Tigers win 7 of 8 at Sacred Heart Duals

The day started off well, with both teams dominating Sacred Heart — the men won 21-6, while the women’s score was an even more lopsided 24-3. The women posted a 25-2 win against NYU, with each of their weapons sweeping the first round. The men pulled out their second victory as well, winning each weapon thanks to a narrow 5-4 win in the foil. The foil improved against Vassar, finishing 7-2, as the men went 8-1 in the epee. The saber was perfect this time around, thanks largely to freshman Jason Cai’s win. His classmate, foilist Elizabeth Meyers, also notched a win, and sophomore sabrist Gracie Stone won a lightning-quick bout as the women swept Vassar.

The Tigers got a look at some of their toughest competition at the end of the day against Penn State. Though the women narrowly lost the foil, they won the other weapons comfortably to take down the Nittany Lions. The men had a harder time — though senior sabrist Phil Dershwitz capped the day with a win, they went 1-8 in the foil and 3-6 in the other two weapons.

Swimming & diving: D’Alessandro breaks 2 records

Both the men and women came away from the Big Al Invitational with wins this weekend. Sophomore Teo D’Alessandro broke the Princeton record in the 200m and 400m events, breaking his own record in the former. Junior Michael Strand broke a school record as well, posting a 46.68 in the 100 backstroke. Meanwhile, senior Lisa Boyce won the 100 back and 100 butterfly. In the latter, three Tigers — sophomore Nikki Larson, sophomore Morgan Karentick and freshman Olivia Chan — rounded out the top five. Each team heads into a break that will last until Feb. 1.