Williams '84 only became interested in EVP after filling role in temporary capacity

The University’s newly appointed Executive Vice President Treby Williams ’84 only lately became interested in her new job, she said.

Williams told The Daily Princetonian in May that she had no plans to make herself a candidate for the position. She only realized after filling the role in a temporary capacity that she wanted to remain permanently, she said Tuesday.

“As I was serving as acting executive vice president, I gained a deeper understanding of the position and enjoyed it tremendously,” Williams said. She cited “the continued opportunity to supervise a strong team of vice presidents as well as to work closely with the president and the provost” as a factor that made her change her mind.

After changing her mind, Williams indicated to President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 that she would like to be considered as one of the candidates, she said. She then entered the search process as other candidates did.

Williams has served as acting executive vice president since June. She noted that her service in that capacity familiarized her with the position, though she said there wasn’t a specific incident that convinced her to remain in the position.

Eisgruber added that many members of her team approached him and suggested Williams become a candidate for the permanent position.

"She handled some very tough situations — including this meningitis issue — very well, and she distinguished herself in strategic discussions around the University," Eisgruber said.

In response to the outbreak of meningitis on campus, Eisgruber said Williams, along with Vice President for Campus Life Cynthia Cherrey, led the team that summarized advice from the Centers for Disease Control and the New Jersey Department of Health to craft the University's plans.

Williams noted that her legal background would help her gain a more comprehensive and holistic view of University issues.

“I think that my training as an attorney has helped my ability to effectively lead ... with a simultaneous attention to high-level University strategy and ground-level business operations in mind,” Williams added.

Eisgruber said Williams' "deep Princeton experience" coming into the position will be beneficial. She has been working in the Office of the Executive Vice President since 2007. Before that, she directed the University's Office of Development Priorities.

"One didn’t have to speculate about whether she would be able to handle a number of responsibilities in the EVP’s position, because she had proven over time that she has done exactly that," Eisgruber said.

She noted that her priorities as executive vice president would include carrying out the University’s campus and capital plans as well as advancing a campus culture of diversity and inclusion.

No one has been appointed to replace Williams’ former position as assistant vice president of safety and administration because it was assumed that she would return to the position. Williams said she is currently seeking to allocate the position’s responsibility within the office. In the meantime, directors of Public Safety and Environmental Health and Safety will continue to report to Williams.

Isaacson, Miller, the search firm the University contracted to aid the search process, deferred comment to the Office of the President.