News & Notes: Vanderbei named fellow of the American Mathematical Society

Professor of operations research and financial engineering Robert Vanderbei was named a fellow of the American Mathematical Society on Monday.

The fellowship honors those who have made outstanding contributions to the advancement of mathematics.AMS honored Vanderbei for hiscontributions to linear programming and nonlinear optimization problems, the organization said. He was one of 50 fellows named this year.

Vanderbei is also a member of the Bendheim Center for Finance andhas courtesy appointments in mathematics, astrophysics, computer science and mechanical and aerospace engineering.

A map Vanderbei created to depict the results of the 2000 presidential election, called "Purple America," received national attention and was reprinted in U.S. News and World Report.The map depicted the county-by-county results in the 2000 election by coloring each county with a shade between true blue and true red.Vanderbei has since created similar maps for each of the subsequent presidential elections.

Vanderbei worked at Bell Labs as a team member for AT&T from 1984 to 1990. He has also worked todevelop high-contrast imaging systems for the eventual aim of direct imaging planets outside our solar system.