Ivy opponents on tap for men and women

JuliaWendt_DSC_9141
JuliaWendt_DSC_9141

The men’s and women’s hockey teams are gearing up for an important weekend of league hockey, as both squads will face off against Yale on Friday night and Brown Saturday night. The men (1-3-0 overall, 0-2-0 ECAC) will take on No. 9 Yale (2-1-1, 1-0-1) at Baker Rink Friday at 7 p.m., before taking the ice there again against Brown (2-1-1, 0-1-1) at 4 p.m. on Saturday. The women’s team will take on the same teams on the road, with matches at Yale (0-4-0, 0-2-0) Friday night and Brown (1-2-1, 0-1-1) Saturday afternoon.

The men’s team will look to rebound from a tough three-game stretch. Since opening the season with three consecutive wins, the Tigers have dropped three straight games in which they have been outscored by a combined 10-5. That stretch included Princeton’s first two conference matchups of the season in which it lost 4-2 to No. 15 Cornell last Friday and 3-1 to Colgate the following day. The Tigers also lost to No. 9 Yale earlier in the season, falling 3-2 in a non-league matchup at the Liberty Hockey Invitational in Newark in late October. Yale swept Princeton last year, during a season in which Yale went on to win the national championship. Princeton also fell twice to Brown last season.

Junior forwards Tucker Brockett and Tyler Maugeri lead the Tigers with two goals apiece so far this season, while senior Andrew Calof has three assists. Senior goalie Sean Bonar, consistently starting in goal after the graduation of former starter Mike Condon ’13, averages just over three goals allowed per game.

The women’s team will enter the weekend playing solid hockey following a 6-2 victory over Colgate and a tough 5-4 loss to No. 3 Cornell, both at home last weekend. This weekend, the Tigers will look to maintain their momentum from the big Colgate (2-8, 0-4) victory, beginning with the road matchup against Yale on Friday night. Yale enters the game having dropped its first four games - the Bulldogs’ opponents have outscored them 17-5 over that span. Princeton and Yale split their season series last year, with each team winning by a two-goal margin at home. Princeton defeated Brown, whom they will face on Saturday night, in both matchups last season. The Tigers soundly defeated the Bears 6-1 at home last February before recording a closer 2-1 win in Providence later that month.

For the men’s team, offensive production will be essential for the team to end its current three-game losing streak. During the team’s three-game winning streak that opened the season, the Tigers averaged over four goals per game. During the current losing streak, Princeton has scored only five goals, an average of fewer than two goals per game. The men’s team might look to the Princeton women’s squad for inspiration. After suffering a 4-0 shutout loss to No. 8 Harvard in Cambridge on Oct. 26, the Tigers scored 10 goals in a two-game span last weekend.