COLUMN: Epperly for Heisman?

20131110_FBvPenn_ConorDube_2
20131110_FBvPenn_ConorDube_2

On Monday, junior quarterback Quinn Epperly was named to the Walter Payton Award Watch List. The Sports Network, one of the world’s largest sports information wire services, presents the major awards in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision, also known as FCS, at the end of each season. These include the Walter Payton Award for the best offensive player, the Buck Buchanan Award for the best defensive player and the Eddie Robinson Award for the coach of the year. Epperly joins a teammate on these watch lists for the first two awards, as senior defensive tackle Caraun Reid has been on the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List since the beginning of the season.

Princeton football, now ranked No. 24, has a reasonable candidate for all three of these awards. I'd like to examine exactly why Epperly and Reid are on those lists, and if it starts to sound like I'm arguing for the Heisman, not the Walter Peyton Award, think about it —it might not be as wild as it may sound at first.

Let’s start with Reid. Coming into this season, Reid generated the most buzz of anyone on the football team. After a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection and second team All-America honors, awarded by The Sports Network, Reid was granted an additional season of eligibility because he missed the 2010 season due to injury. At the start of the season, Reid was named to the Buck Buchanan Watch List and was the lone Ivy League player to be named to the preseason All-America first team.

What is perhaps frustrating for Reid’s prospects for the Buck Buchanan Award is a familiar problem from last season —he has a huge target on his back. With Reid’s sustained success over the past few seasons as one of the stars of Princeton’s dominant defensive line, he always draws special attention from the opposing coordinator. While numerous double-teams and offensive plays designed to avoid Reid on the field have prevented him from posting the type of absurd statistics that some of his teammates may have, it is because of Reid’s presence on the line that the Tigers’ defense flows so well. Because of the attention he receives, his teammates have that much more room to wreak havoc on the opposing backfield, break up passes and generally make life very difficult for the offense they are facing. It is for this reason, however, that Reid is Princeton’s most promising professional prospect, projected to go in the middle rounds in the 2014 NFL Draft. Unfortunately, it is also for this reason, despite the way he impacts the field, that Reid has a good case as a nominee but is unlikely to be the winner of the Buck Buchanan Award.

What about the Eddie Robinson Award? Unlike the other two, this award does not have a watch list —instead, the finalists are announced on Nov. 25. And on Nov. 25, head coach Bob Surace ’90 should be, without a doubt, named to the final list of candidates. The turnaround that Surace has engineered is nothing short of miraculous. Princeton football is not even two years removed from completing its second straight 1-9 season. Of course, these seasons were plagued by injuries and bad breaks, but the depths to which the Tigers had fallen during those two seasons cannot be understated. The 2010 edition of Princeton football was, by objective terms, the worst season in program history, as the Tigers did not win a single Ivy League game. So why am I bringing this up? Because that makes Princeton’s success this season, in addition to the major steps the program took last year, all the more incredible. The Tigers are not just winning —they are dominating the opposition.

However, before hyperbole carries me away, let’s actually look at the extraordinary change in Princeton’s fortunes. It takes time for a new coach to establish success. It takes time for a coach and his staff to establish their offensive and defensive schemes. It takes time for a coach to recruit. It’s only been four years since Surace was hired. That is why Surace should be a finalist and has a very good argument for the Eddie Robinson Award. Of course, in other ranks of college football, four years is unacceptable —success is demanded even before that. But the success of Surace and his team, the way they are crushing their opponents, speaks to the importance of patience with your new head coach. If you are confident in your hire, give him some time, and despite early struggles, you may find your decision will pay off.

Finally, let’s look at the man perhaps most responsible for this domination. Epperly, of course, is a finalist for the Walter Payton Award. It is surprising that it has taken this long for him to get there. Epperly has 475 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground, with 1,668 yards and 20 touchdowns through the air. Against Cornell, he started the game with 29 straight completions, setting an NCAA record. He is first in the FCS in points per game, second in completion percentage, third in scoring per game and sixth in passing efficiency. These statistics are eye-popping and in and of themselves speak volumes to Epperly’s case for the Walter Payton Award. Add to that Epperly’s instrumental role in driving the Tigers toward an Ivy League title this season, and the case has been built for Epperly not just to be a finalist for the award, but the winner.

But why limit Epperly? The comparison between left-handed, well-built quarterbacks who both have deep religious convictions, effective ability as runners and very accurate throwing arms is easy. Epperly has been compared, more and more during his run to prominence, to former Florida quarterback and Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow. Epperly is on the Walter Payton Award Watch List. But why shouldn’t he catch the eye of the Heisman voters? Players from all divisions of college football are eligible, so it is possible. And if you compare his statistics to those of the current Heisman front-runners —reigning trophy holder and Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston and Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota – Epperly’s match or even surpass theirs.

Of course, Epperly is not going to win the Heisman Trophy. He has not faced the sort of competition that Manziel, Winston or Mariota have faced. But is the argument for his candidacy that out there? Possibly. But give it some thought. Epperly should without a doubt be invited to Philadelphia for the Walter Payton Award. Perhaps, the voters should also recognize Epperly by letting him follow the footsteps of recently passed Dick Kazmaier ’52, winner of the trophy in 1951, to New York as a finalist for the Heisman Memorial Trophy.