Ask the Sexpert

Dear Sexpert,

I have had several sexual partners since I became sexually active in high school. I had never experienced discomfort during sex, but recently I've noticed that when I have sex with my current boyfriend, wherever my skin comes into contact with his semen, it turns red and becomes irritated. After intercourse, my vagina is red and puffy too, not just my skin. We can’t use condoms because I have a severe latex allergy, but I am on birth control, so we aren’t worried about unplanned pregnancy. Could I be allergic to his semen too?

—Hot And Bothered Down There

Dear Hot And Bothered,

While it is possible to be allergic to semen, a condition known as human seminal plasma protein hypersensitivity, or SPH, it is rare. More likely are other causes of your symptoms. Redness and itchiness in the vaginal area are also symptoms of yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis and certain sexually transmitted infections, particularly chlamydia. To be on the safe side, it is best for you to visit Sexual Health and Wellness Services at UHS — they can conduct a number of tests to determine whether you are suffering from SPH or something else and discuss treatment options.

If you are one of the rare cases, you could either be allergic to the common proteins found in most men’s semen or be allergic to proteins found specifically in your boyfriend’s semen. Symptoms of SPH include genital discomfort, hives, itching, localized pain, redness, swelling and trouble breathing. Typically, people suffering from SPH exhibit symptoms 20 to 30 minutes after intercourse or skin contact; the symptoms can last anywhere from a few hours to several days (in more severe cases). The severity of the allergic reaction is dependent on the specific body chemistries of you and your sexual partner.

If it turns out that you do in fact suffer from SPH, there is no cure, but there are a couple of treatment options. Since you’re allergic to latex, male or female latex-free condoms would be a great option for you. A condom will keep your skin and vagina protected during oral and vaginal intercourse, as well as during hand jobs, and it has the added bonus of reducing your risk of STIs, something birth control will not do. It is possible to desensitize yourself to your boyfriend’s semen, but you should talk to a health care provider to decide if that is the best option for you.

—The Sexpert