News & Notes: Former U. Executive Vice President Burstein installed as Lawrence U. president

Former University Executive Vice President Mark Burstein was formally installed as Lawrence University’s 16thpresidentSaturdayafternoon at the Lawrence University Memorial Chapel in Appleton, Wis.

University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 participated inFriday’sinauguration panel discussions while former University President Shirley Tilghman delivered congratulatory remarks during the ceremony.According to a press release by Lawrence University, delegates from over 60 colleges including Princeton, MIT, Stanford and Yale were present at the ceremony.

The inauguration ceremonies beganFridayafternoon with panel discussions on incivility in public discourse and the role of a liberal arts education and continued through the night with performances by Lawrence University musicians, before concludingSaturdaywith the formal installation ceremony.Jill Dolan,director of the Program in Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University and a member of the Lawrence University Board of Trustees, moderated one of the panel discussions.

Burstein graduated from Vassar College in 1984 and was appointed executive vice president of the University in August 2004, a position that he held for almost nine years. He wasnamed the next presidentof Lawrence University in December 2012 and assumed the position on July 1, 2013. Princeton is currently searching forBursteins successor, while former Assistant Vice President for Safety and Administrative Planning Treby Williams’84 occupies the role of acting vice president.