News & Notes: 8 U. faculty among inductees to American Academy of Arts and Sciences

Eight members of the University faculty were inducted into the 233rd class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in a ceremony on Oct. 12. Creative writing professor Jeffrey Eugenides, classics professor Robert Kaster, mechanical and aerospace engineering professor Naomi Leonard, politics professor Stephen Macedo, art and archaeology professor emeritus Yoshiaki Shimizu, philosophy professor Michael Smith, computer science professor Jennifer Rexford and politics professor Leonard Wantchekon were among 164 inductees to join the Academy this year. Director of the Institute for Advanced StudyRobbert Dijkgraaf was also inducted.

Founded in 1780, the Academy is an independent policy research center that brings together leaders from academic, business and government sectors, according to its website. The Academy provides nonpartisan advice to leaders in these areas and includes 4,600 fellows and 600 foreign honorary members.

Other prominent inductees this year included Academy Award-winning actress Sally Field, retired astronaut and U.S. Senator John Glenn,Emmy Award-winning director Ken Burns and singer Bruce Springsteen.