Rookies already contributing to undefeated Princeton squad

20130914_MWP_ConorDube_1611
20130914_MWP_ConorDube_1611

The men’s water polo team will add three recruits from the Class of 2017 to its roster this season to join the 16 returning members.

“It is not a huge class,” head coach Luis Nicolao said, “but all [four] will have an impact as freshmen, and we are looking forward to seeing them compete this fall.”

The recruits are Curtis Fink, Bret Hinrichs and Jovan Jeremic.

Fink will join the team as a utility player after leading his high school team to three consecutive league championships and earning All-CIF Division I and All-Sunset League first team honors in 2011 and 2012, as well as being named a California-Hawaii All-American. In 2013, he participated in the U.S. National Team selection camp.

Hinrichs, who hails from Menlo Park, Calif., led his Sacred Heart Preparatory team to consecutive CCS Division II championships and two league titles. He also picked up first team CCS Division II and all-league honors in 2011 and 2012.

Also coming in as a utility player is Jeremic, who scored over 100 goals throughout his high school career, making him the second all-time leading goal scorer in Huntington Beach High School history. He earned All-CIF Division I Southern Section and All-Sunset League First Team honors in 2012 and was selected to the U.S. Youth National Team camp in 2012. Additionally, he was named one of the top 40 players in the nation in 2012, and from 2010-12 he participated in the Olympic Development Program. After winning HBHS’ Most Improved Award his junior season, he was team MVP as a senior.

"We are very excited about our incoming men’s class,” said Nicolao. “One area we were lacking last year was some outside shooters, and we feel like we got some guys the really can shoot well from the outside.”

Fink and Jeremic netted two goals apiece as the No. 14 Tigers stormed past Harvard 14-7 over the weekend. The freshmen looked promising throughout the weekend, which saw Princeton go undefeated in four games to begin the 2013 campaign.