Offense excels as Tigers dominate Hoyas

20130921_FBvLehigh_ConorDube_4941
20130921_FBvLehigh_ConorDube_4941

After a disappointing loss to Lehigh in its season opener, the football team rebounded explosively against Georgetown on Saturday. The Tigers (1-1) scored seven touchdowns to dominate Georgetown (1-4) 50-22. It was the first 50-point game for the Tigers since their 55-28 win over Brown in 2000.

The Hoyas led only once during the game: early in the firstquarter after junior receiver Seth DaValve’s fumble was recovered and returned 14 yards to the end zone to give Georgetown a 12-8 lead. The Tigers would regain the lead on their next possession, which included a fake punt on fourthand seven at the Princeton 46-yard line that resulted in freshman punter Tyler Roth’s completion to junior running back Will Powers for a 16-yard conversion. That drive would put them back on top for good.

Leading the Tiger offense was junior quarterback Quinn Epperly, who rushed for four of the day’s seven touchdowns. These included two one-yard rushes, a seven-yard carry and a 59-yard touchdown run down the left side of the field on a fourthand inches play. He had only one other carry in the game, but threw for 19 yards.

Georgetown had no answer for the Tiger rushing attack, and Epperly was not the only Tiger to find success in the run game. Princeton rushed for 326 total yards; however, no single player carried the ball more than 11 times in the effort. Senior running back Brian Mills rushed for 110 yards on his 11 carries, including a 53-yard touchdown to bring the lead to 22-12 late in the first quarter.

“This week we didn't allow any lead to phase how we played our game and how we performed,” Mills said. “Every drive was a new one, and we made sure to maintain our focus and our mentality every play.”

Junior quarterback Connor Michelsen added 181 passing yards and 26 more on the ground, completing 19 of 28 attempts. Junior receiver Matt Costello led all receivers with 75 yards on six catches, and senior receiver Roman Wilson and DeValve caught seven passes each.

The Tiger defense proved itself capable of finishing games and making stops when it counted, both concerns coming into the weekend. The Tigers held Georgetown to only three third-down conversions. Freshman defensive back Dorian Williams had a sack and an interception, while junior defensive back Jakobi Johnson also came away with a pick and senior safety Phillip Bhaya led the team with 10 tackles.

“I personally think we didn't change our scheme [from last week],” Williams said. “We just executed more efficiently on getting them off the field on third down and forced turnovers, which left our offense in a good position to score.”

The Tigers begin Ivy League play when they host Columbia at home next Saturday at 1 p.m. They have won their past two meetings with the Lions.