News & Notes: Class of 2017 unable to log in to Mac clusters due to configuration change

Members of the Class of 2017 were unable to log in to the Mac operating system on computer clusters across campus on Wednesday due to a configuration change in the University’s Mac operating system.

The University’s Office of Information Technology became aware of the issue on Tuesday night shortly after 9:30 p.m., according to University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua. The issue occurred because the system had undergone a configuration change in the summer that was prompted by a change in the Mac operating system.

OIT tested the change when it went into place this summer with the accounts of currently-enrolled students and verified that their accounts were still functional, Mbugua explained. It did not test the accounts of members of the Class of 2017 since they were not yet enrolled.

At that time, OIT did not realize that the new student accounts would also require adjustment, Mbugua said. OIT is currently working to reconfigure and test the accounts, and it expects to have the process completed by sometime on Thursday. In the meantime, freshmen may still log in to the Windows operating system on campus computer clusters.