Lawnparties Preview: T-Pain, Chiddy Bang and more

STREET
STREET

Antibalas and Escarioka

Terrace Club, Escarioka 1 p.m., Antibalas 2:30 p.m.

Opening at Terrace is Escarioka, a psychotropical punk rock band from Elizabeth, N.J. that also happens to feature two Terrace alumni! Escarioka packs a musical punch as it fuses multiple genres from around the world. The band released its first album, "Factor Sabor," and draws inspiration from bands like Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, an Argentinian ska band, and Todos Tus Muertos, an Argentinian punk and reggae band. Don't miss Escarioka's fun fusion!

YouTube It: "Mehanata Mash Up"

Next, stick around for Antibalas, a well-known NYC-based collective, featuring an esoteric cross between NYC Latin funk grooves and Afrobeat jams. In addition to playing about 50 shows a year around the world, members have performed and recorded with various artists such as The Roots, Amy Winehouse and Public Enemy. The group has released hit albums including “Security” and “Antibalas." With an energy that showcases its perfectly synchronized improvisations, the band prides itself in its “rushing anarchy” that has “no director, no brake.”

YouTube It: “Beaten Metal”

—Aoi Senju

American Authors

Charter Club, 1:30 p.m.

An up-and-coming Brooklyn-based band, American Authors made a splash on the indie-rock scene when it released its first single “Believer" in 2012. Drawing on African-inspired rhythms and featuring sublime acoustics, American Authors resembles Imagine Dragons and faintly echoes the sound of Walk the Moon. For those who want to get an earful of American Authors' catchy riffs and thoughtful lyrics before Lawnparties, the band’s self-titled debut EP was just released on Aug. 27.

YouTube It: “Believer,” “Best Day of My Life”

— Grace Lin

Aaron Carter

Tower Club, 2 p.m.

The boy whose prepubescent voice blared from our CD players and spiked blond hair made our preteen selves swoon is stopping by Princeton as part of his "After Party Tour." His voice is deeper and he no longer risks being grounded for throwing boy-girl parties, but at 25, Aaron Carter is breathing new life into the hits he made as a teenager. Head to Tower to hear the classics as well as Carter’s more grown-up singles. You can be sure Carter will make this Lawnparties not just the party of the month, but the party of the year.

YouTube It: "Aaron's Party," "I Want Candy"

—Miranda Rehaut

T-Pain and Chiddy Bang

Quadrangle Club, 4 p.m.

Rapper and probable robot T-Pain is the undisputed king of late 2000s Auto-Tune hip-hop. Known for his signature vocal delivery, which he made available to the public with the popular “I Am T-Pain” app, T-Pain is responsible for insanely catchy solo jams and memorable collaborations with artists like Flo Rida, Jamie Foxx and The Lonely Island. T-Pain recently announced the title of his fifth album, "Stoicville: The Phoenix," after cutting off his iconic dreads and announcing via Twitter that a phoenix represents new beginnings and a new era. What better place to start than fall Lawnparties at Princeton?!

YouTube It: “I'm in Love with a Stripper,” “Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin')”

Quad will also feature alternative hip-hop act Chiddy Bang. Rising to prominence with his MGMT-sampling pop-rap hit “Opposite of Adults,” Chiddy Bang is most known for his genre-blending use of samples from artists like Passion Pit and Ellie Goulding to create upbeat rap anthems. Combining innovative production with the syllable-bending flow of Chidera “Chiddy” Anamege, Chiddy Bang has in recent years become one of the names to watch out for in the world of hip-hop.

YouTube It: "Mind Your Manners," "Ray Charles"

— T.J. Smith

The Deloreans

Ivy Club, 2 p.m.

With bright neon eclectic costume styles and high-wattage dance moves, The Deloreans deliver energetic performances to the nostalgic pop songs of the 1980s. Their faithful and fun-to-watch shows have already propelled The Deloreans to a position of prominence among cover bands of the East Coast —their repertoire includes artists ranging from Bruce Springsteen to the B-52s and from Guns N’ Roses to Madonna. Be sure to come out to Ivy to catch the tunes from this flamboyant and lively band!

YouTube It: “What About Love”

—Oliver Sun

Lefty Lucy

Tiger Inn, 11 a.m.

Aaron Carter may already be tweeting about his upcoming appearance at Lawnparties, but he won’t be the only performer in attendance with a serious rep! Country cover band Lefty Lucy, house band for Toby Keith and opener for countless country legends, will be rocking out in the front lawn of TI. Even better than its covers are its original tracks like “On My Way.” The group will be back on the East Coast after collaborating in Los Angeles with Quincy Jones to record the original song “Even When You Forget,” written for the Keep Memory Alive Foundation for Alzheimer’s Research. Come out to TI on Sunday and feel country-strong listening to your favorite songs by groups like Zac Brown Band and Jason Aldean. After all, a cowboy hat is the perfect accessory for any Lawnparties outfit!

YouTube It: “On My Way,” “Ready to Roll,” “Independence Day,” “I Love This Bar”

—Amelia Warshaw

2am Club

Cottage Club

The L.A.-based 2AM Club is set to bring its poppy alternative sound to Cottage this Sunday. The band prides itself on reinventing pop by synthesizing multiple genres and sounds into its music to create a unique listening experience. The band gained popularity in 2007 after a viral four-month stretch of performances, entitled “The Tiny Porno Shows."2AM Club attributes the shows' success to its creation of a different L.A. club experience. "We wanted something raw, sweaty, dark and disgusting," band member Sauce said in an MTV band biography. With that in mind, expect Cottage to get rowdy Sunday afternoon.

YouTube It: "Worry About You"

—Katie Bauman

Arswain

Colonial Club, 12:30 p.m.

Alternative student electronic group Arswain, comprising Princetonians Charlie Avis '14 and Seth Forsgren '14 along with Freddy Avis of Stanford and Evan Knight from Cornell, will be taking the stage at Colonial to entertain the crowd with a few of their best hits. With a sound similar to bands like Disclosure and Radiohead, Arswain's catchy original songs and covers are the perfect ticket for a Sunday afternoon.

YouTube It:"Dash I," "Surface"

—Katie Bauman

The Knocks

Colonial Club,1:30 p.m.

With a sound comparable to Madeon, The Fatrat and Dragonette, indie electronic pop duo The Knocks have continually made their mark with powerful and catchy singles like “Brightside” and “Learn to Fly." Named one of the “20 hottest producers in music” by NME Magazine in 2010, The Knocks have performed alongside artists like Skrillex, deadmau5, M.I.A., Tiesto, Alex Clare, Weezer and Calvin Harris, and they are certainly an act not to be missed.

YouTube It: "Make It Better," "Modern Hearts" (The Knocks)

--Annie Tao

DJ Geometrix

Cap & Gown Club, 12 p.m.

DJ Geometrix, aformer computer programmer, has become a staple of the D.C. club scene. His upbeat tempo and remixes of already popular dance songs by artists like Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and David Guetta are sure to make you want to dance, dance, dance! Rumor has it he’ll be putting on a light-show performance to accompany the tunes, so you can party like you're clubbing in D.C.

YouTube It: “Lady Gaga: You and I (DJ Geometrix Bootleg Mix),” “Childish Gambino: Heartbeat (DJ Geometrix Remix)”

—Zoe Perot

Kevin Mac Band

Cloister Inn, 1 p.m.

If you're looking for a change from the usual Lawnparties scene, head on over to Cloister to see the Kevin Mac Band, which boasts aclassic mix of country and rock that’s sure to get you singing and moving. Mac’s skillful guitar playing and soulful blends of country, rock and blues creates an engaging performance for all audiences. An East Coast native, Kevin Mac has opened for country stars like Martina McBride and recently joined with drummer Dan Slater and bassist Vik Makker. The band’s feel-good music is sure to make Cloister the go-to for getting down country-style this Sunday.

YouTube It: “Good To Be Me”

—Lakshmi Davey

The Mahlors

Cannon Club, 12 p.m.

Prepare to bring your best pastels out to Cannon for a funky fusion of rock and reggae! Hailing from Pennsylvania, The Mahlors have been playing all over their home state since 2009. Their music draws inspiration from a variety of artists, ranging from Bob Marley to The Police. Playing at over 160 concerts, selling over 100 self-made CDs and going on two tours in 2012, the band has gathered up a loyal and growing fan base all over the East Coast. The Mahlors' sonic vibes will be booming from Cannon, so make sure you don’t miss the explosion.

YouTube It: "Can’t Relate"

—Aoi Senju