Around the Ivies: Women's Soccer

The Ivy League gets a late start every year, but each women’s soccer team has now played enough games to give us some idea of how this season will shape up. Here’s how they look so far:

1. Cornell (4-1-1) The Big Red’s two wins and one tie last week were due in large part to freshman Elizabeth Crowell, who most recently earned both Ivy League Player and Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors. Her seven points on two goals and three assists have breathed life into a sometimes slow offense.

2. Penn (4-0) Penn is the only Ivy League team without a loss in non-conference play this season (so far). If the Quakers want to ensure that their conference play will go as well as their non-conference games have, they will need to start putting more balls in the back of the net Penn won each of its last two games by just one goal each.

3. Princeton (3-1-1): The Tigers, led by rookie striker Tyler Lussi, currently stand with their best record through five games since 2008. Lussi and junior midfielder/forward Lauren Lazo have powered the Princeton offense, having scored all seven of the Tigers’ goals so far this season.

4. Yale (4-1) The Bulldogs’ record may look pretty, but at least one of the results has been frightening. Yale lost its Sept. 13 road game to Georgetown in an 8-0 shutout, having been limited to just three shots throughout the entire game. The Bulldogs will need to prove to the Ivy League that going forward, they can do better against high-powered squads.

5. Columbia (2-2-1) The Lions opened their season in a dramatic fashion, as senior midfielder Natalie Melo netted the game-winning goal in double-overtime against cross-town rival Manhattan. Since then, they have not fared as well, losing one and tying North Florida in a recent tournament in the Sunshine State. Midfielders Beverly Leon and Alexa Yow have combined four goals and two assists, leading the team.

6. Brown (2-2) Despite having been outscored 7-3, Brown is at .500. The Bears have a few more chances to figure out how to score goals before opening Ivy League play, in which they went 1-3-1 in 2012.

7. Harvard (1-3-1) The Crimson finally got in the win column against LIU Brooklyn on Sunday after beginning the season with three losses and a tie. All-Ivy midfielder Meg Casscellis-Hamby will return and is joined by freshman forward Margaret Purce, who has two goals good for half the Crimson’s total so far.

8. Dartmouth (1-3) After a season-opening shootout ended in Purdue’s favor, Dartmouth has shut out Fordham and has been shut out twice. The Big Green have made scoring goals look easy at times Emma Brush and Lucielle Kozlov have two goals and an assist each but will need to spread them out more if they hope to come close to last year’s 13-4 record.