Football: Starks '13 signs with Chicago Bears

StarksProfile-small
StarksProfile-small

StarksProfile-smallFormer linebackerAndrew Starks '13signed a three-year contract with the NFL's Chicago Bearson Thursday, he confirmed.

The three-time All-Ivy League honoree and Illinois native recorded 298 tackles, three interceptions and three fumble recoveries in the 39 games he played for Princeton. Starks served as co-captain of last season's Tiger team that clinched wins over both Harvard and Yale , giving Princeton its first bonfire in six years.

"Andrew Starks is an unbelieveable leader and an unbelieavable worker," head coach Bob Surace’90 said.

The news comes months after the official Princeton Football Twitter account tweeted in late April that Starks had already signed with the Bears. While Starks quickly clarified that at the time he had not yet been signed by Chicago, he said he had been invited to the Bears' rookie mini-camp in early May.

"He impressed them at their minicamp," Surace said. "When spots open up, you gotta be prepared. I can tell you without question – other than a few texts I have not talked to Andrew –I can guarantee you he is prepared."

Starks is the second member of the Tigers' Class of 2013 to have a chance to play in the NFL. Former defensive end Mike Catapano '13 wasdrafted in the seventh roundby the Kansas City Chiefs.