The Freshman Dictionary: Q-Z

Q

QR, abbrev. Quantitative Reasoning, a distributional requirement. See “Emails for Females.”

Quadrangle Club, n. Sign-in club commonly known as “Quad.” Endangered. See Street’s breakdown of the Street.

R

RCA, abbrev. Residential college adviser. An upperclass student who lives on your hall and provides free food (see “study break”), condoms and answers to questions like what to do when your roommate hasn’t showered in five weeks. See “Zee group.”

Rapelye, Janet, n. Dean of Admission. Let you in. Has revamped Princeton’s admission policies, including accepting the Common App, eliminating small group interviews and abolishing the “YES!” letter.

reading period, n. Week and a half to catch up on work at the end of each semester. Originally intended as time to do independent research, it is now a time to sleep in until 2 p.m. and to read and write everything you haven’t in the past semester. Dean’s Date happens at the end.

Reunions, n. Beer-saturated gathering of alumni during the weekend before Commencement for drinking, fellowship and the P-Rade. Good excuse for students to delay returning home for a week at the end of the year. Reported to be the largest single beer order in the United States. See “P-Rade.”

Richardson Auditorium, n. Enormous performance hall located up-campus across from Blair Arch.

rival, n. What Princeton lacks. What Penn thinks we are.

Robo, n. Drinking game involving bouncing a quarter into a series of beer-filled cups. See “boot.”

Rockefeller College, n. Commonly referred to as “Rocky.” Northernmost residential college known for gorgeous Gothic architecture.

Rocks for Jocks, nickname. GEO 103: Natural Disasters. See: “P/D/F.”

RoMa, nickname. Rockefeller/Mathey College dining hall. Looks like the Great Hall in Harry Potter; both were modeled after Oxford.

room draw, n. Computerized process by which students select rooms for the upcoming year. Conspiracy theories abound about the supposed randomness of the process: People with high social security numbers, third letters of their last names near the end of the alphabet and Minnesota addresses may receive better times.

room improvement, phrase. Purgatory into which students with tragically late draw times are cast. Over the summer, those who are eligible for room improvement will theoretically be placed into better rooms. See “room draw.”

Route 1, n. A large, divided road about a five-minute drive from campus along which real-world institutions like movie theaters, malls, Walmarts, discount liquor stores and chain restaurants can be found. Proof that you are, in fact, in New Jersey.

rush, v. To move very quickly toward something. n. 1. An aquatic plant. 2. A process you are forbidden to know anything about. Shhh.

rush ban, n. A ban on freshman rush enacted two years ago that prohibits you from engaging in any fraternity or sorority activities for your first year. See “Tilghman, Shirley.”

S

safety school, 1. n. Yale, Harvard, Penn, etc. 2. phrase. Popular chant at basketball games regardless of opponent.

sexile, v. To render your roommate homeless after a successful date or night out. Etiquette in case of sexile should be discussed with your roommate ASAP.

shared meal plan, n. A system by which one can be a member of both an eating club and a residential college, with meals split between the two. Also known as the dream. The number of slots available vary widely by club.

sign-in club, n. Eating club that takes members through a lottery system rather than Bicker. Charter is the only club with a weighted sign-in based on a student’s attendance of club events. See Street’s guide to the Street.

squirrel, n. A furry friend and foe. Cute when scurrying around campus. Pesky when scavenging in your dorm room. Scary when rabid. Not scared of people. Comes in brown, gray and black varieties.

sororities, n. pl. Groups of women who gather together to take pictures in dresses and “network.” There are only three at this school: Kappa Kappa Gamma (“Kappa”), Pi Beta Phi (“Pi Phi”) and Kappa Alpha Theta (“Theta”). Freshmen are not allowed to rush Greek organizations. May be your ticket into a bicker club, or a way for people to instantly stereotype you.

Stars for Stoners, nickname. AST 203: The Universe. Purported to actually be a somewhat difficult class involving actual equations. See “P/D/F.”

STL, abbrev. Science and Technology with Lab, a self-explanatory distributional requirement. See “Bridges.”

STN, abbrev. Science and Technology, Nonlaboratory, a self-explanatory distributional requirement. See “Physics for Future Leaders."

St. A’s, n. “Secret” literary society with unclear purpose and unknown meaning. See “Ivy Club,” “the Nass.”

Street, the, nickname. Prospect Avenue, home of the eating clubs and center of University nightlife. See Street’s guide to the Street.

Studio 34, n. Late-night convenience store in the basement of Butler College known for its French bread pizzas.

study break, n. Free food. See “RCA.”

T

Terrace Club, n. Sign-in club known for artsy types, vegans and hipsters. Popular end-of-night stop for all of campus. See Street’s breakdown of the Street.

T.I., abbrev. Tiger Inn. Bicker club known for raucous, beer-soaked parties and heavy preponderance of bros. See Street’s breakdown of the Street.

Tiger Admirers, n. Facebook account to which lonely Princetonians can anonymously submit messages of heartbreak and desire that are then posted publicly so others can commiserate. See “PrincetonFML.”

Tower Club, n. Bicker club known for freshman-friendly dance floor and taproom, as well as heavy preponderance of theater types, a cappella groups and Woody Woo majors. See Street’s breakdown of the Street.

thesis, n. The T word. Major senior pastime, required of every A.B. student and some B.S.E. students. Most are close to 100 pages. Often replaces socialization, exercise, happiness, etc. in the spring.

third-floor Bicker, n. The practice of exchanging sexual favors for admission into a Bicker club. Named for the club officers’ third-floor bedrooms in which such encounters usually occur.

Tiger, n. 1. Princeton student or athlete. 2. Mascot dressed in tiger-skin suit who capers and cavorts at football games while trying to avoid attacks by the opponent’s band. 3. Campus humor magazine of erratic quality and publication schedule. 4. Striped predatory jungle cat.

Tilghman, Shirley, n. Princeton’s 19th president. Just left the Bubble for greener pastures. First woman and first scientist to hold the presidency. Friend of the sciences, enemy of the Greeks. See “rush ban.”

tool shed, n. 1. Nickname of the Wilson School because of the heavy preponderance of pre-meds and pre-Wall Street types who major there. 2. The Undergraduate Student Government. See “USG.”

Triangle Club, n. Undergraduate musical theater group that writes and stages an annual extravaganza of song, slapstick and dance. Famous for the drag kickline and alumnus Jimmy Stewart ’32.

Twenty-One (21) Club, n. Secret drinking organization founded in 1881, composed of 42 male juniors and seniors who consume 21 beers in 42 minutes at an annual contest. Members are culled from bicker clubs, fraternities and sports teams.

U

UMCP, abbrev. University Medical Center at Princeton. Still known by its former abbreviation, PMC, because “getting PMCed” after a night of drinking sounds better than “getting UMCPed.” See “McCosh Health Center,” “boot.”

up-campus, adj. Located on the part of campus closer to Nassau Street, up the hill. Synonym: “north.” Usage: “From here, go up-campus to find Brown.”

U-Store, n. Officially, the Princeton University Store. Located at 36 University Place, across from Blair Arch. Sells food, dorm items and school supplies. Prostitution allegedly happened there once.

USG, abbrev. Undergraduate Student Government. Resume-builders who like to hear themselves talk. Plans Lawnparties. Otherwise, of questionable impact. Current president is Shawon Jackson ’15. See “tool shed.”

W

Wa, the, n. Campus colloquialism for the Wawa convenience store. Located between the Dinky and Forbes.

Whig-Clio, abbrev. The American Whig-Cliosophic Society. Centuries-old debate society that hosts such topical events as the Annual Latke versus Hamantaschen Debate. See “tool shed.”

Whitman College, n. Residential college that bears a striking resemblance to the castle in Shrek. Built in 2007 and rumored to have more money than every other college.

Wilson College, n. Centrally located residential college named after Woodrow Wilson. An incoherent assortment of buildings that vary in quality but are united in their residents’ loyalty to Wilson. Contains a volleyball court.

Women’s Center, the, n. Center for women’s issues. Provides an often-quiet study space on the second floor of Frist. Sponsors events and programming for interested students.

Woody Woo, abbrev. Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, or the Wilson School. Formerly selective major for students interested in becoming bankers or consultants and learning the language of bureaucracy, as well as those rare folk who actually do want to save the world through government (but will probably end up in banking or consulting). See “tool shed.”

Woody Woo fountain, n. Idyllic fountain and pool located in Scudder Plaza, north of Robertson Hall. Popular wading spot in the spring, especially after Wilson School theses are submitted.

WPRB, n. Student-run, community-supported independent radio station located in the basement of Bloomberg Hall. Owns the Nass. See “Terrace Club.”

Wucox, n. Portmanteau for “Wu/Wilcox dining hall.” Large dining hall that serves Butler and Wilson Colleges. Frequented by athletes and gym rats post-workout.

Z

’Zee group, abbrev. Group of advisees. The 20 or so freshmen frequently found under the wing of a residential college adviser. May or may not become close friends over the course of freshman year. Statistically, at least one permutation within the group will hook up.