A Slice Between

Have you ever wondered what it’d be like if a Sanchez sandwich and a pizza had a baby? Stop dreaming and find out for yourself.

Located conveniently beside Hoagie Haven, Slice Between is the perfect destination for those days when all you want is a quick, fuss-free meal at an affordable price. The Maltabes brothers (also owners of Hoagie Haven) manage Slice Between, meaning some of your favorite crazy sandwiches are now available as pizzas.

At Slice Between, you can expect to be greeted by the same unassuming storefront you have come to know and love at Haven. Though the menu has yet to expand beyond about 10 different pizzas, a few salads and calzones, there are a few must-tries well worth the trek down Nassau Street.

The Sanchez is hands down the most popular pizza at Slice Between, and for good reason. The exchange of a sandwich roll for a sourdough crust does nothing to diminish the pure joy of chicken chunks, mozzarella sticks and Haven’s very own Sanchez sauce atop crumbling layers of golden-brown pizza crust. While this writer feels she was slightly cheated in the sauce department, as long as you watch out for scrimpy slices you should be more than satisfied.

Another perennial favorite at Slice Between, the Buffalo Chicken pizza is also an excellent choice. Though somewhat on the salty side — perhaps a case of excessive buffalo sauce — the chicken topping itself is tender, and the fresh mozzarella ties the pizza together. Here, the crust proves particularly important. Thin and crisp enough on the outside while chewy enough in its doughy center to please both thin and thick-crust fanatics, the crust at Slice Between earns an A+ (at least before grade deflation).

It’s not listed on the menu, but should you happen to spy it through the glass casing, you can’t go wrong with Hawaiian. At Slice Between, they have somehow perfected the balance of the tartness of the pineapple and the saltiness of the bacon.

Finally, if you have a bit of a sweet tooth, try Isabel’s Nutella pizza, which features sliced bananas, powdered sugar and, of course, Nutella in generous proportions. You won’t be disappointed.

If you’re in the mood to try something new but with low risk, Slice Between allows you to try your old favorites with a delicious twist.

3.5 out of 5 paws

Pros: Creative options, quick and wallet-friendly.

Cons: Limited menu, scrimpy slices.