What's Hot on Campus?

Theater: "The Tempest"

The Lewis Center for the Arts’ Program in Theater presents a unique version of this Shakespearean classic — a performance by both actors and marionettes. Directed by theater program faculty member Tracy Bersley, the play is the senior project of student Lily Akerman '13. Featuring an all-student cast with puppets created by senior visual arts student Samantha Ritter '13, "The Tempest" looks to be an exciting new approach to this age-old story. Pick up tickets for an evening of Shakespeare unlike any other.

Matthews Acting Studio, 185 Nassau Street

Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m.

Theater: "Aida"

Black Arts Company Drama presents the timeless love story of an ancient Egyptian prince and a Nubian princess. This classic tale of star-crossed lovers is brought to life in the student-run BAC production of the Tony Award-winning play, written by Elton John and Tim Rice.

Frist Film/Performance Theater

Thursday and Friday, 8 p.m.

Saturday, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Concert: “Spanisches Liederbuch”

Got the back-to-school blues? Lose yourself in the “religious fervor” and “sexual ecstasy” of Angelika Kirchschlager and Ian Bostridge’s performance. Hugo Wolf’s “Spanisches Liederbuch” is based on 16th- and 17th-century Spanish poems, and the music is filled with passion and angst, two emotions to which Princeton students can relate. Wolf is considered one of the best 19th-century composers and this particular production will be performed at only two other venues. Professor Susan Youens of the University of Notre Dame will give a pre-concert talk open to all ticket holders.

Richardson Auditorium

Thursday, 7 p.m. talk and 8 p.m. concert

Theater: Freshman One Act Festival

Three unforgettable nights. So many freshmen. No, this isn’t part two of freshman week; it’s the Freshman One Act Festival! The newest members of the theater community will be directing, managing and acting in the four one-acts that will grace the Theatre Intime stage. There will be comedy, Greek mythology, love, kindergarteners and everything in between. Support your friends, avoid boredom, distract yourself from Bicker or indulge your freshman nostalgia — whatever it is, the Freshman One Act Festival has got you covered.

Theatre Intime

Thursday through Saturday, 8 p.m. 

Theater: "A Delicate Balance"

Edward Albee, playwright of the classic "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?," is also the mastermind behind "A Delicate Balance," one of McCarter Theatre's current productions. In this play, suburban couple Agnes and Tobias find their lives turned upside down as they encounter a pair of surprise houseguests who plan on staying long past their welcome. Albee collaborates with McCarter's artistic director, Emily Mann, in bringing this Pulitzer Prize-winning masterpiece to the stage. 

McCarter Theatre

February 6–17, 7:30 p.m. weeknights, 8 p.m. weekends, 3 p.m. Saturdays, 2 p.m. Sunday matinees

Lecture: "The History and Future of Guerrilla Warfare"

Max Boot, a leading military historian and foreign-policy analyst, will be lecturing on the origins of guerrilla warfare and why it matters as a present global threat. This lecture is an opportunity to hear from an expert in this field and discuss a significant political and social factor in our increasingly interconnected world. The talk is co-sponsored by the James Madison Program and the Wilson School and will be followed by a public reception.

Dodds Auditorium in Robertson Hall

Friday, 4:30 p.m.