Gift guide: Custodian

Our custodians here at Princeton do so much for us, taking care of our homes away from home and greeting us with a friendly smile each day. We rarely get the chance, however, to show our gratitude outside of a verbal “thank you.” The holiday season provides the perfect opportunity to show your favorite custodian that you appreciate his or her hard work and dedication. 

Card, $4.95, Paper Source, 82 Nassau St.

Even if you’re on a tight budget and don’t have much time to spare, never underestimate the power of a few thoughtful words. From the punny “Thanks a TON” featuring a grinning elephant to the classic “Happy Holidays” on a festive background, Paper Source offers a huge selection of cute and clever cards to express your appreciation with simplicity and sincerity.

Power Tools/Tool Set Chocolates, $9.95, Thomas Sweet Chocolates, 29 Palmer Square W

For the custodian with a sweet tooth, this pre-wrapped set of chocolates makes a fitting — not to mention delicious —  surprise. Choose between two equally adorable and equally mouth-watering sets: “Power Tools” includes a drill, a power outlet and a power saw; “Tool Set” features a screwdriver, pliers, a hammer, a wrench and a hand saw. Be wary of leaving these outside your door, however, as they are likely to attract unintended recipients.

Gift certificate, $50, Witherspoon Grill, 57 Witherspoon St.

Getting a pricier gift is still possible on a budget with proper planning. If you can organize your hallmates to pitch in for one group gift, you can treat your custodian to a meal at a local restaurant. Witherspoon Grill is a safe choice, but Blue Point Grill or one of the many other cafés across the street are also great options.