Campus Picks: Nov. 29, 2012

It’s Christmas!: “Winter Skies” — A Holiday Concert

Get in the holiday mood with the Princeton University Wind Ensemble’s Winter Concert! The ensemble will be playing favorites from holiday movies like “Miracle on 34th Street,” as well as music from Holst’s “The Planets” suite, Eric Whitacre’s “Cloudburst” and Alfred Reed’s “Armenian Dances.” There will be a reception afterward with free refreshments. To sum it up: Christmas. Food. Go.

Richardson Auditorium

Thursday, 7:30 p.m.

The Bard: PSC’s “King Lear”

Princeton Shakespeare Company presents “King Lear,” directed by Kanoa Mulling ’15. A beautiful play full of deception and tragedy, “King Lear” offers audiences a glimpse of a man’s fight for what he wants and who he loves. You do not want to miss this stunning exploration of the nature of loyalty and true love. 

Class of 1970 Theatre in Whitman College

Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m.

Sunday, 2 p.m.

Dec. 6-8, 8 p.m. 

Festive Fight for a Cause: Princeton Cares — Broadway Cares and Equity Fights AIDS

This Sunday, Princeton University Players plans to raise funds for the fight against AIDS with a bit of seasonal song and show. Princeton Cares, directed by Sean Drohan ’14, is a holiday benefit concert featuring musical vignettes and collaborations between students, faculty and visiting artists. Start winter off right with a night of fun-filled festivities and commendable charity.

Frist Film/Performance Theatre

Sunday, 8 p.m.

LOLs: Fuzzy Dice’s Rookie Show

Come out and join Fuzzy Dice in welcoming its new members in their annual Rookie Show. The improv troupe’s newbies will get their first chance to shine in a show that will mix long-form and short-form sketches, all original and unique. Audience participation is encouraged, so you’ll get the chance to kick off your comedy career alongside these fresh-faced fledglings — or at least be laughed at by a room full of people.

Theatre Intime

Friday and Saturday, 11 p.m.

Tap: Monk’s Mood: A Performance Meditation on the Life and Music of Thelonious Monk

Presented by Duke University professor of dance Thomas DeFrantz, this event is a must-see for fans of tap dancing. This wordless tap performance is a biography of the late Thelonious Monk, famed 20th-century jazz pianist and composer. In addition to tap dancing, the performance will be aided by improvised images and songs using Miditron and Isadora multimedia technology. The event is free and open to the public. No tickets required. Definitely check it out if you’re interested in learning about Monk in an unconventional and entertaining fashion.

Hagan Dance Studio at 185 Nassau Street

Sunday, 7 p.m.

Classy & Jazzy: Princeton University Concert Jazz Ensemble’s “Tribute to Thad Jones”

Looking for a relaxing Saturday evening? Come see the Princeton University Jazz Ensemble perform in its concert, “Tribute to Thad Jones.” The concert will feature guest conductor Ralph Bowen, visiting music professor and world-famous jazz saxophonist who will also perform with his renowned Ralph Bowen Quartet.

Richardson Auditorium 

Saturday, 8 p.m. 

Campus picks compiled by Lakshmi Davey, Carla Javier, Christine Wang, Thomas Garcia, Lisa Fierstein and Stephen Wood.