Campus Picks: Oct. 18, 2012

Beat Harvard: Football Concert: Princeton and Harvard Glee Clubs

If you think football rivalries are limited to the stadium, think again! As per a 99-year-old tradition, the Princeton and Harvard Glee Clubs are coming together this week for their annual faceoff — this year hosted on the more beautiful of the two campuses (read: ours). Join the Glee Club in their first concert of the year for a choral festival and refreshments before the Orange and Black Ball and Saturday’s big game. Tickets are $15 for general admission and $5 for students.

Richardson Auditorium 

Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Erin go Bragh: Art in Ireland Since 1910

The art of the Emerald Isle comes to the Orange Bubble. Learn about the evolution of Irish art through the 20th century, with a focus on historical context, in this lecture by art historian Fionna Barber. Presented by the Fund for Irish Studies at Princeton, “Art in Ireland Since 1910” will take you on an artful journey through the land of lager and leprechauns. Whether you speak Gaelic, love potatoes or just want a dose of culture, don’t miss this colorful start to your weekend.

Stewart Theater at 185 Nassau Street

Friday, 4:30 p.m.

Groove: Master Class Dance Series with Christopher Roman

Come join Christopher Roman in a movement master class for students. This instructor has served as principal dancer in the Frankfurt Ballet and in the Forsyth Company in Germany for the past 12 years. Princeton students will get to dance under the tutelage of a dancer who has learned under and staged the works of world-renowned dancer William Forsythe. Roman comes to Princeton having performed on almost every major stage in the Americas, Europe and Asia. He was also recently named the recipient of Germany’s Der Faust theater prize. This event is open to the public for observation.

Hagan Dance Studio at 185 Nassau Street

Thursday, 4:30 p.m.

Your Love Life: “Can I Kiss You?”

Concerned about violence in personal relationships? Want to be empowered by knowledge about safe and healthy dating? Come to this exciting, interactive and funny presentation with Mike Domritz, in which he addresses the above topics and more. Mike will discuss important skills for giving consent, intervening when you think something is wrong and how to survive an unhealthy or potentially abusive relationship. This will be a pivotal, entertaining and highly applicable conversation that you will not want to miss. 

McCosh 50

Thursday, 7:30 p.m.

Class Act: Princeton University Orchestra Concert

Take a well-needed study break before midterms to listen to some smart music. Michael Pratt, who has instructed musically inclined Princetonians for over 30 years, will conduct the orchestra in their first concert of the year. Come watch newly inducted members perform Professor Dmitri Tymoczko’s “Power Chords” and Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 10 in E Minor. In addition, the program features an appearance by the Amernet String Quartet, an acclaimed ensemble from Florida International University.

Richardson Auditorium 

Saturday, 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, 3 p.m.

Campus picks compiled by Lin King, Seth Merkin Morokoff, Anna Niroomand, Oliver Sun and Miranda Rehaut.