After nine year absence, Third Eye Blind to return for fall Lawnparties

Third Eye Blind will headline this fall’s Lawnparties USG-sponsored concert, president Bruce Easop ’13 announced Saturday.

An alternative rock band, Third Eye Blind debuted with a self-titled album in 1997. The band rose to fame through popular hits such as “Semi-Charmed Life,” “Jumper” and “How’s It Going to Be.” Third Eye Blind’s most recent album, “Ursa Major,” was released in 2009.

The band last performed on campus in 2003 as part of the USG spring concert in Dillon Gymnasium, before the USG-sponsored concert was moved to Quadrangle Club. The decision by the USG to have Third Eye Blind perform at that concert was highly criticized because the USG also chose to sponsor a show by Goo Goo Dolls. Some students argued that the two bands appealed to similar audiences and failed to provide a musical option for everyone.

However, this time the band’s presence will deviate from recent USG-sponsored performers. The past five Lawnparties performers, such as B.O.B., Wiz Khalifa and Childish Gambino, have all been hip-hop or rap artists.

USG social chair Benedict Wagstaff ’14 declined to be interviewed. However, he explained his choice on his Facebook page.

“You asked for rock ... rock is what you got. You asked to be taken back to your yesteryears ... that is what you got,” he wrote. “You asked to be able to sing along ... show me you can.”

Third Eye Blind is currently on a nationwide tour taking them to college campuses beyond Princeton. The band also performed at the College of William and Mary in Virginia in February, at Notre Dame in March and at Boston College in April.

Lawnparties will be held on Sunday, Sept. 16.