Rapper Wiz Khalifa to perform at Lawnparties

Rapper Wiz Khalifa will be performing at the USG-sponsored concert at Lawnparties on May 1, an anonymous source on the USG Social Committee confirmed to The Daily Princetonian on Tuesday afternoon. USG president Michael Yaroshefsky ’12 and USG Social Chair Jake Sally ’12 officially announced the concert on Tuesday evening.

The news comes after the Def Jam record label posted a tour schedule announcing that rapper Big K.R.I.T., who will be opening for Khalifa, would be performing at the University on May 1, along with a note saying that Khalifa would also be performing. The listing was removed from the tour dates early Tuesday evening. 

When reached for comment on Tuesday afternoon, Yaroshefsky said that he “can’t say anything about the Lawnparties band until the contracts are done” and deferred to Sally for comment. Sally declined to comment.

However, Yaroshefsky opened an email addressed to the student body early Tuesday evening with “Dear Black and Orange,” linking to a Princeton-themed spoof of Khalifa’s most well known single “Black and Yellow,” and signing off as “Michael ‘My lips are sealed for now’ Yaroshefsky.”

In an email sent by Yaroshefsky to the student body at roughly 8:20 p.m. on Tuesday, Sally officially confirmed that Big K.R.I.T. and Wiz Khalifa would be playing.

“We’ve all heard of the ever-popular ‘Black and Yellow,’ some of you have even made your own ‘Black and Orange’ remixes,” Sally said in the email, which was sent from Yaroshefsky’s address, referring to a Princeton-themed spoof of Khalifa’s song. “Opening for Wiz will be Big K.R.I.T. Haven’t heard of him? Most of the campus hadn’t heard of Wiz a couple years back when he released his classic club hit ‘Say Yeah,’ and now he’s on the cover of Rolling Stone so keep your eye out for Big K.R.I.T.”

In an email to the ‘Prince’ later Tuesday evening, Sally explained that he chose Khalifa to headline the concert because the artist “is rising quickly in the music industry and making a name for himself.”

“I think the spring Lawnparties event is one of the first times that the weather is truly nice (knock on wood) and the students are able to relax and enjoy themselves,” he said. “Wiz’s music is really laid back and great to vibe to while also boasting a selection of more upbeat, head-nodding songs.”

Sally added that, based on feedback from the USG Social Committee, he decided to pursue Khalifa as a leading act several months ago but that the contract wasn’t finalized until Tuesday.

The USG had originally been planning to announce the acts in around two weeks, according to several USG sources, but decided to send out a confirmation email to the student body after the news broke that a USG official had confirmed Khalifa’s appearance on Tuesday afternoon.

“The choice wasn’t confirmed until today, regardless of what anyone who ‘knew it earlier’ says — most people don’t really know how the contract process works,” Sally explained. “It’s not some secret conspiracy to keep the artist from the students. We would just rather not have to correct ourselves if a contract fell through.”

It is unclear how much the concert will cost, but Sally explained that by booking Khalifa just as he is beginning to become widely known, the USG will pay less for a concert now then it would have to in a few months.

Khalifa released his first mixtape in 2005. He released two albums and six more mixtapes before receiving his break with “Kush & Orange Juice,” which was released last April. Khalifa was subsequently signed to Atlantic Records.

His first single, “Black and Yellow,” reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and his latest studio effort and first full-length album, “Rolling Papers,” was released on Tuesday.

Southern rapper Big K.R.I.T., who is opening for Khalifa, was featured on “Krush & Orange Juice” in the song “Glass House.”