B.o.B to headline Lawnparties, confirming speculation

B.o.B is slated to headline next Sunday's Fall Lawnparties, USG social chair Jake Sally ’12 said in an e-mail to the student body on Saturday evening. The announcement comes nearly two months after The Daily Princetonian reported on The Prox that the rapper would likely perform.

Sally also announced in his e-mail on Saturday that Super Mash Bros. will open for B.o.B in the Quadrangle Club’s backyard at 3:30 p.m. 

In July, B.o.B’s official website and MySpace page indicated that he planned to perform in Princeton on the day of Lawnparties. Sally would not comment at the time, and the postings were removed from the Atlanta-based rapper’s websites shortly after the ‘Prince’ inquired about them.

Sally said in an e-mail to The Daily Princetonian that he turned to B.o.B. after seeing that his first choice, rapper Kid Cudi, got in “some unfortunate trouble” over the summer, referring to Cudi's June arrest and charges of felony criminal mischief and possession of a controlled substance. “I decided it would be best to look for a different, but similar artist,” Sally explained.

B.o.B — who at 21 years old is younger than some students — released his first album, “B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray,” in April. The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts, with “Nothin’ on You,” its first single, reaching No. 1 and going double platinum. The single “Airplanes” also soared in popularity, peaking at No. 2 on the charts.

Sally said he first secured B.o.B. in late June, but that the contracts were not finalized until “a couple weeks ago.”

“What many people don’t know is that even if an artist agrees to perform, it takes a looooong time to finalize the contracts regarding everything from food platters to transportation,” he explained. 

Super Mash Bros. is a Los Angeles-based mashup duo that came to campus to perform at Ivy Club during Houseparties in the spring of 2009. The group has self-released two albums: 2008’s “Fuck Bitches, Get Euros” and 2009’s “All About the Scrillions.”

Sally explained that he thought Super Mash Bros. would help get the crowd excited after a long day of Lawnparties. “Super Mash is great pump up music,” he said. “I’ve found in years past that students are usually slightly … tired by 3 pm so they’ll get the crowd going and B.o.B. will take it out with a bang.” 

The performances are sponsored by the USG, the Alcohol Initiative and Quad. Last fall, funds for the main Lawnparties concert were redirected to the Pace Center following a spring 2009 referendum on the issue. This past spring, The Roots headlined the concert, and Gym Class Heroes played in Spring 2009.

Sally added that his experience at the Lupe Fiasco concert in Fall 2008 inspired him for this year’s show. “It was my favorite performance thus far in my Princeton career, so I wanted to bring that type of experience while I can,” he said.