Students evacuated from Frist due to gas leak in Gallery
A burner was left on in the kitchen area of the Frist Gallery on Friday evening, leading to a leakage of gas, according to Department of Public Safety Patrolman Alan Lawson, who was the officer in charge at the time.
The burner’s pilot light, which would have burned off any gas, was turned off. University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua said it is yet to be determined why the light was off.
No one was hurt, and there was no property damage.
DPS first received a call at 6:36 p.m. Officers then arrived on the scene and found a high concentration of natural gas in the building as a result of the leak. At 6:49 p.m., they pulled the fire alarm to evacuate Frist occupants.
Members of the Princeton Fire Department then arrived on the scene. After the source of the leak was identified, they propped open doors to ventilate the building and allow the gas to escape.
“After the odor was detected, the fire alarm was activated, and the building was evacuated to allow for ventilation,” Mbugua said. He added that the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad and Site Protection, a division of Facilities, also responded to the call.
Once the source of the leak was identified and the building was ventilated, DPS began letting students back in at around 7 p.m. The building is now open.
DPS and Site Protection will be looking into why the pilot was out, according to Mbugua.